PDA

View Full Version : Crazy BMW $tealer prices and general rant

BigKriss
03-16-2005, 07:47 PM
I was looking through some old repair bills for the car the my dad had paid for. They charged AUS$97 for "Removing and installing or replacing headlight globe, and rewiring as required", this price was in 1998. This was for the highbeam light bulb it looks like.

In my most intoxicated state, I have no doubt that it would take me 5 mins max to replace a H1 light bulb. I want to know what they did for the rest of the time, play pocket billards?

When I read this **** like this, I think to myself, how can I afford a BMW with these ridicilous prices. It makes me laugh, but not in a good way becasue people actually do pay these prices.

Then I jump on bimmer.info and it's like I'm in another world where enthusists of the e34 gather and a large amount of knoweldge that is exchanged freely. It puts a whole new concept of owning the car when you have a greater knowledge and better understanding of how it works.

Well if I didn't find this forum, I can see myself getting raped by the dealer again, paying $300 in fluids for a service another $200 in labour and then having no used suspension work done, or I can do the work myself. I maybe in a different situation than other board members here, but I've got plenty of time but not plently of money.

All board members help is greatly appreciated. This board is awesome. I love it:)

Regards

Kristian

pic of the invoice
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=946&stc=1

pundit
03-16-2005, 08:15 PM
...All board members help is greatly appreciated. This board is awesome. I love it:)
No worries Kriss... we'll send you the bill!! :p

632 Regal
03-16-2005, 08:36 PM
This site is the only reason I have my car, I didnt think I could afford or work on it. I bought it to sell for some quick needed cash, went on a trip with my son in it and didnt want to sell it. When we got home I started surfing I think it was for BMW Repair or something...found a lot of BS sites while researching then I found this one. Real people helping other people with everything from headlights to transmissions and I knew I was going to be able to keep the car. I owe my car to this place or this place owes me that quick 2k...LOL

liquidtiger720
03-16-2005, 09:03 PM
I <3 bimmer.info

Kalevera
03-17-2005, 12:28 AM
wow Jeff, I never knew our stories were so similar...

...only, I had to buy ~ $4000 worth of parts and spend countless hours of my time to get the car roadworthy again. But yes, only could've been done with bimmer.info.

best, whit

Paul in NZ
03-17-2005, 03:18 AM
well kriss the left hand headlight bulb in my car is almost impossible to remove because the headlight washer tank is so close you cant pull the connectors off the bulb,and rewiring as required..hmmmm.I Dont do much work on my car but it is sure comforting knowing that i can prolly find out about any problem before going to the garage,or decide to have a go myself.From my limited experience with dealers its not just bmw dealers who know how to charge!

zygoteer
03-17-2005, 07:30 AM
Similar for me too ... I was offered the car ... but looked around the net first ... THIS very site convinced me I could afford to have such a car as I would access to lots of help in solving problems without a sudden empty feeling in the wallet all the time

shogun
03-17-2005, 08:11 AM
The amount is AUS $.
"Removing and installing or replacing headlight globe, and rewiring as required"
Not US $
So, I think nothing is wrong.
As long as you do not know what the actual problem was, it is difficult to complain.
The hourly rates are unfortunately that high. It is not a prob ob a car repair company, taxes, social expenses, .....

wareagle72
03-17-2005, 12:16 PM
I had my car only (1) day and already had a fix for one of my problems. The info came from this board.

TheDuke
03-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks to u guys I saved more or less $4k in repairs/maintance so far.

rickm
03-17-2005, 07:49 PM
I found this place when I was shopping for bimmers...talked to a guy on usenet about E34, he said this place was great. It was Dick from....OK? KS? Somewhere that way.