PDA

View Full Version : 89 535I steering problem

Roger Hatfield
02-19-2004, 07:43 AM
I was hoping somebody might be able to cast some light on my problem.
My 535I's power steering sometimes locks solid (definately gets your attention) when turning right, usually when it is wet. Apart from this there is now a very bad vibration problem on the front end, which was cured before by new bushes, I'm sure this has something to do with the power steering as there doesn't appear to be any play elsewhere in the suspension.
Any ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanks Roger

Bimmer Nut Ed
02-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Sounds like your power steering pump may have gone bad. But I'm no expert on the topic. Others may be able to provide better help. sorry, and good luck

Bill R.
02-19-2004, 09:33 AM
belt is old and loose or just loose.. and when the belt gets wet it slips so much that you lose your pump assist...Check tension on the belt first.

I was hoping somebody might be able to cast some light on my problem.
My 535I's power steering sometimes locks solid (definately gets your attention) when turning right, usually when it is wet. Apart from this there is now a very bad vibration problem on the front end, which was cured before by new bushes, I'm sure this has something to do with the power steering as there doesn't appear to be any play elsewhere in the suspension.
Any ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanks Roger

Scott H
02-19-2004, 09:35 AM
does your power steering go out when you hit standing water? if so, you are missing the splash guard that is supposed to cover the underside of the engine bay. this prevent water from splashing on to components/pulleys, etc. I had the same issues until I realized I was missing that large cover for the underside.