PDA

View Full Version : Steering lock dis-assembly: '90 535iA

Dash01
03-16-2005, 09:54 AM
How to dis-assemble and inspect the internal parts of the steering lock?

I have removed the steering lock from the car, and extracted the ignition lock cylinder from it, and cleaned the outside of both parts.

How to dis-assemble the steering lock to see its internal parts?

" " " " lock cylinder " " " " " ?

Reading the various posts about ignition lock and steering lock problems, and based on my own recent experience, such troubles are all too common. The difficulty is further compounded by the fact that online parts diagrams are mis-labled, at least in the case of my '90 535iA parts, which probably differ from later E34s.

So, if I can dis-assemble these parts, I'll share whatever I learn with you all, including pictures.

Related issues:

So far, in the case of my car, I suspect the old grease in the innards of the lock cylinder and in the steering lock may have a role in preventing the key from rotating more than ~45 degrees, thus preventing the car from starting. The old grease may be causing sticking of internal parts and consequent mechanical lockup. So, I'm cleaning out as much of the coagulated grease, then lubricating with locksmith's graphite. It will be much better to dis-assemble these parts for a better look, lubrication, and/or replacement. Some people have had occasional freeze-up of ign. lock cylinder and/or steering lock, with the symptoms then disappearing. So, in such cases, is the problem bad grease (temperature/weather sensitive?) or broken internals?

And, in my case the best tool for removing the lock cylinder is not an allen wrench as shown on Evan's website. Rather, its a heavy duty paper clip, straightened and inserted ~22mm into the access hole. It helps a lot if the tip of the paperclip wire is slightly curved.

shogun
03-16-2005, 10:07 AM
I have never opened it, but in case it is similar to the door lock barrel, than the info from Jon Evans might help.
http://evansweb.info/images/articles/20030118211916675_10.jpg

http://evansweb.info/article.php?story=20030118211916675