PDA

View Full Version : autotrans wiring

crunchy
03-16-2005, 04:16 AM
i just got the 520i 88 going to which its getting a large hair dyrer put on it, the problem is when i got the car the last owner ripped out the auto but never disconected the trans plug. i got another plug which has 8 wires and the car has 7 wires. i colour matched them except for one. the problem it has is it seems to be stuck in top but i can select reverse. i the selector doesnt match up with the gear selection but even when in what should be drive it still does it. its a 4hp22 so what iim after is a wiring diagram to see if the colours match, cheers :(

Javier
03-16-2005, 07:00 AM
the model. Later models are missing the reverse inhibit solenoid. 88 may have 7 wires, and a three-position program selector switch.

If the car does nothing but 3rd gear and reverse, it means it is in Trans Program alarm mode. You may not have a check control module display (520i), so did not get the message, but the trans control is keeping 3rd and reverse only to prevent further damage to the transmission.

You can do a "search" in the forum looking for "Trans program" and found tons of info about this message alarm.

The 6 wires colors sorted by trans connector pins are: 1 Red, 3 White, 4 Brown, 5 Orange, 6 Green, and 7 Blue. Sorry have no info for the 7th wire.

Javier

Kalevera
03-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Also, just as a precaution, I would check the neutral position switch located under the shifter in the central console. The contacts get nasty and will cause no or incorrect gear selections to show up on the dash. Bentley's has a procedure, I believe.

best, whit