PDA

View Full Version : The WHEEL dilemma - help me solve it! :)

Kalevera
03-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Alrighty guys...here's the question of the month:

I recently picked up a set of BBS Style 5 sports (17's) in decent condition. I like them, they make the car look nice, but they're a bit of a pain to clean. While I don't think anyone can say that they're not great wheels, they don't have as much lip as I'dve preferred.

I have the opportunity to pick up a set of actual Hamann HM2 18's. The question is - do I get them in lieu of keeping the 17's? I think I'd like the more exposed rotor/caliper look that the hamanns allow. I suspect the ride quality will get worse and I'll get more tramlining.

So, what would you do?

(see attached pics...BBS style 5's courtesy of JR ///m5, Hamann HM2 replicas in 17" from Jon K's picture archive)

best, whit

https://home.insightbb.com/~england31/Dscn1321.jpg

JAlfredPrufrock
03-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Get the 18s, sell the 17s to me. ;)

Kalevera
03-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Bump...I don't have much time on this, so anybody and everybody -- pls give me your advice :)

best, whit

Rory535i
03-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Get the 18's!!! the 17's are nice but bigger is better in my opinion! :D

liquidtiger720
03-15-2005, 11:21 PM
get the 18's, and dont listen to jalfredprufrock. Sell the bb's to me!! =).

Patrick
03-15-2005, 11:46 PM
I like BMW wheels almost always over aftermarket but all things considered I'd say it comes down to ride quality and the condition of the roads where you live. 18's are going to be harsh but if you're already accustomed to 17's it may not be much of a difference. So if the roads are decent than it shouldn't be too bad.
The Hamanns are going to be a treat to keep clean compared to the Style 5's -that's for sure.
Just a sidenote, I went from stock 15" basketweaves to 17" Throwing Stars and the ride quality was much improved, and they're sooo easy to keep clean comparatively.

crashnburn80
03-15-2005, 11:54 PM
I personally like the 17s alot better. They will ride bettet too and unless the 18s are ultra light, your car will accelerate and brake better with the 17s.

NielsGalan
03-16-2005, 06:09 AM
The wheels on the silver car are THE most beautiful wheels I've ever seen on an E34! Period. Are they the BBS wheels??

pmlmotorsports
03-16-2005, 09:07 AM
forget the Hamann 18" as they are casted to fit both low offset and high offset cars. Hamann simply machines the hub pad to the appropriate offset, which means an extended hub pad for the low offset fitments. If you want, I have a set of RD Sport RD2 wheels which have a huge lip in 18x8.5, and I can get a set of 18x9.5 ( even bigger lip) for the rear weels if you choose. Personally, I like the BBS OEM style, but if I had to go 18", I'd go with te RD Sports RD2. Hope this helps.

Kalevera
03-16-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi Niels. Yes, those are the BBS Sports from the E39 sport package. It's a two piece 17" wheel.

best, whit

Kalevera
03-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Wow! That seems like a low rent touch for a company with such a reputation for quality.

Thanks for the info, Peter. I've got to do some serious thinking about this before I make the decision. It seems like everyone agrees that the 17 is the one to keep. I may just buy both, run 'em, and see which I like more.

best, whit

granit_silber
03-16-2005, 10:35 AM
But IMO they have a style and refinement to them that the Hamann's lack. I must admit that Style 5's are one of my top three favorite BMW wheel styles. Stay with the 17's.
-ashley

ps Whit, did I read somewhere that you're in NC? Or am I just confused?

Kalevera
03-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Hi Ashley.

Yes, I am. About an hour south of you in Davidson (aren't you in Winston?). I bounce between Charlotte and Cleveland, Ohio.

Did you do your suspension install yet?

best, whit

wengenstein
03-16-2005, 02:19 PM
I like the hamanns but there really is no beating the style 5s (on an e34 anyway). If you decide to sell them though, add me to the list of interested parties! :)

So, what would you do?

Alan_525i
03-16-2005, 04:30 PM
The pic that you show of the HM2s are 17" replicas. 18s will look bigger.

That said, I think aside from M5s, 17 is the most appropriate size for E34s. 18s may look better but really offer no significant benefits in handling and have many negatives (decreased ride quality, tire cost, danger of bending) And those of you that run 19s are just plain nuts (jimmyz2 excepted, we know hes nuts :D but I think his car comes close to deserving them...)

EDIT: I should make clear though that I do not like Style 5s at all. (unlike most people here)

Kalevera
03-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Hi Alan. Thanks for pointing out that the hamanns shown are the 17" replicas. I guess I left that at the very bottom and people might not have noticed it before offering advice.

It looks like I'm going to cop the hamanns and keep the style 5's, run both for a while and see which I like better. Everybody seems to agree that, cosmetically, the style 5's just work better on the car.

best, whit

Jr ///M5
03-16-2005, 06:00 PM
whit, how do you like the M-paraells? I think they are the best of both worlds. They have a lip the same size of the style 5's, but the open area around the spokes would show off your brake calipers nicely. They come in 18's and are BMW specific, unless you get the replicas, they are made in 17". I think they are one of the finest looking wheels you can find for the E34.

But if you have to choose between the Hamann and the BBS, go with what you like the best, and t'hell with what anybody else thinks! If you don't want to clean the wheels often, go with more of a dustless pad, but be ready for the occasional squeek. Cleaning the wheels is nothing more than a labor of love....=)

Whatever you decide, they both will look great on the E34.

Jr

Kalevera
03-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Hey Jr. I love the M-Pars, but it seems like everyone sticks 'em on these days (not to say that people don't put the hamanns or the style 5's on in equal numbers). Until I find a set of MPs that I can afford, I've got the hamanns and the style 5's to choose from. I think I'll buy the Hamanns and run both for a while, see what I like, and then sell the ones I don't need. In terms of cosmetics, they're both about the same to me, but the hamanns are so inexpensive, it seems silly to pass them up.

By the way, everyone who's seen the pic of your car loves the look :) "Classy!"

Best, whit

kyleN20
03-16-2005, 07:09 PM
wow, if that silver car is yours, you ought never change it, that is a awsome combo, i only wish my car looked like that, i myself am looking at a set of mp's, but i wouldent mind a set of style 5's, your car looks great

keep it classy

Lee in Ottawa
03-16-2005, 08:12 PM
WOW I have the exact same decision to make as well right now. A set of style 5's with tires or for about the same price 18" hammans without tires.

I think i'm gonna go with the bbs. Possibly black out the centers, (don't think anybody has done this yet???)

granit_silber
03-17-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi Ashley.

Yes, I am. About an hour south of you in Davidson (aren't you in Winston?). I bounce between Charlotte and Cleveland, Ohio.

Did you do your suspension install yet?

best, whit

Davidson! Cool, we'll have to meet up sometime! (yes, I'm in Winston)

Ah, the suspension...due to the cost of the titanium bolts in my puppy's right-rear knee and the congenital knee defect that made the bolts necessary, the suspension work has been put on hold. But I did pick up a nice set of $200 wheels!

-ashley

DueyT
03-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Whit...keep the 5's! http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/cheesy.gif

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/540FL-Lg.JPG