PDA

View Full Version : split second MAF, anybody installed it?

shogun
03-15-2005, 09:19 AM
and what are the results of that?

http://www.splitsec.com/

zygoteer
03-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Anyone please correct me if this doesn't make sense, but from a logical viewpoint only (I have no experience of this product), at best all it can do is be a compromise, and I find it hard to believe it can offer improvements without a severe fuel consumption penalty over a either an enhanced DME chip or a completely new aftermarket engine management system.

Essentially this is because our BMW DME takes into account a LOT of signals, and reading the "split-second" downloadable .pdf file, all they do is modify signals from the DME for fuelling and/or ignition, based on a LIMITED set of signals .... surely all that does is over-fuel ? ... which I suppose maybe OK for the track.
... I guess only a fair test will really prove that though.

Any given engine can only realise a certain performance, and an enhanced DME chip for a 'road car' is far more likely to be able to extract the maximal performance as it has basic access to all signals, albeit based on the built-in algorithms, but using the alterable lookup data; also it will in all probability be more suitable to road use (that is where the greater market volume and profit is anyway), simply because the chip maker will need to maintain a reputation, which can all too easily be lost, but which is next to impossible to regain.

Only a complete aftermarket engine management system, that is dyno set-up, could produce a better result.
... but who can justify such a cost and time expenditure ?

... I know I can't.

bahnstormer
03-15-2005, 05:42 PM
modern performance inc here in NJ sells a MAF conversion

i assume we're talkin bout this

E34 535i MAF3.5 Kit

E34 535i MAF Kit Includes:

ARM1 Air/fuel Ratio Meter
ARC2 Air/fuel Ratio Calibrator
MAF3.5 Mass Air Flow sensor (flanged). Flanged shown.
MAF Wire Loom
MAF Gasket
4" 90 Deg. U Bend Assembly
3.5"-3.0" Reducer Assembly
Mounting Bolts
MAF 3.5 Addaptor
535i E28 and E34 Installation Instructions

in a dyno proven article in grassroots motorsports, they found
20 some odd hp in a m5 motor....

Martin in Bellevue
03-15-2005, 07:06 PM
That stock vane air meter on the m30 is very restrictive. I realized some 36+ lb-ft of additional torque below 4,500 rpm, based on dyno comparisons, with my pro flow maf conversion.