PDA

View Full Version : Help. Starter dead? NEED YOU GUYS!

NielsGalan
03-15-2005, 07:31 AM
I went to the store today, and when I got back into the car it wouldn't start.

Everything was acting normal, no warning lights in the dash. But when I turned the key to the start position nothing happened. I tried quite a few times. I have a diesel. Turn the key one notch, radio comes on, another notch and the glow plugs do their thing but turn the key further and nothing happens. When the key returns to pos. 2 after trying to ignite the mechanism which prevents me from turning the key again is activated.

I suspected it to be a fuse, but all the fuses in the engine compartment look ok, and although I don't speak/read German very well I couldn't seem to find anything relating to the starter.

There IS power. Everything acts normal, but starter motor doesn't come on.

HEEEEEEEELP. I miss my caaaaaar! It i sitting all alone outside the stooooore!

Interceptor
03-15-2005, 07:53 AM
I went to the store today, and when I got back into the car it wouldn't start.

Everything was acting normal, no warning lights in the dash. But when I turned the key to the start position nothing happened. I tried quite a few times. I have a diesel. Turn the key one notch, radio comes on, another notch and the glow plugs do their thing but turn the key further and nothing happens. When the key returns to pos. 2 after trying to ignite the mechanism which prevents me from turning the key again is activated.

I suspected it to be a fuse, but all the fuses in the engine compartment look ok, and although I don't speak/read German very well I couldn't seem to find anything relating to the starter.

There IS power. Everything acts normal, but starter motor doesn't come on.

HEEEEEEEELP. I miss my caaaaaar! It i sitting all alone outside the stooooore!
How about you ask some nice people to give you a push? :) I started mine a few times that way, when my battery was dead. I don't know what's the deal with diesels (and engines with a belt instead of a chain) but my M50 is doing fine even after a few push-starts. BUT if your belt snapped, you can smash your valves :(

632 Regal
03-15-2005, 12:22 PM
smack the starter, if that fixes it then you need a new one. check the voltage going to the starter when someone turns the key to see if your getting voltage there.

callen
03-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Check your battery connections for corrosion...if clean get your battery load tested to see how strong it is.....CCA's. Not sure how easy it is to get to the selenoid but I'd then check to see if your getting juice to the starter...small wire....again not sure how it's set up on Diesel. If it is getting juice your starter may be bad...if it's not....Ignition switch.....I'm betting on Battery though.

NielsGalan
03-16-2005, 03:32 AM
So far we've established, that the starter IS recieving power, and when I turn the key it does too.

The battery should be fine, as everything else lights up just as normal. We have tried pounding on the starter to see if that helps, but it didn't. We also tried shorting the connection at the starter itself to try to start it that way but with no luck. So the key is not the problem.

When we give it a rolling start it starts up just fine, so for now I'm only parking in a down hill slope.

Javier
03-16-2005, 07:28 AM
an easy way to check for start signal to the starter motor. At the Data Link / Diagnostic connector Pin 11 (See link to identify), look for a voltage rise following key operation. Guess diesels shouldn't differ.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/electrical/e36_reset_service_lights.html

Not sure how easy it is to get to the selenoid but I'd then check to see if your getting juice to the starter...small wire....

callen
03-16-2005, 01:53 PM
lights coming on doesn't tell you battery strong enought to fire diesel starter....need to load test it......just do it...now if it is strong and as you say the starter is receiving power then starter must be bad...no?

NielsGalan
03-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Guess what? The starter is alive again. I just love these periodic errors that drive you mad ... I'm really looking forward to the next time it decides to die.

Are there any simple things to look for as to a cause for this problem? Many of the problems with the E34 are common on this forum, but I don't seem to find any info on the starter. Guess I'll be opening it up this weekend. Until then, I'll still be parking the car facing DOWN hill! :D