PDA

View Full Version : 540 Trans Program error

Katana6434
03-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Hi

New to forum. Have searched for the problem and have some ideas to go by. I just wanted to run it through with you guys. hope thats all right.

Went to start my car after work and it as soon as I turned the ignition on it gonged and came up with Trans program. The car would not start. It would just turn over and not catch. in the end had to get the AA out. The guy said it was a problem with key and that the car had to be recovered (he said the key has a transponder in it and it is broke, which is why the trans program error came up). I personally don't think it is anything to do woth the ket and more likely an electrical problem, possibly with the battery>

Anyway, the car got recovered and when it got home the car started fine. I turned if off and started it again. This time the trans program error came up, although the car still started. I then left it half hour and started it again. It started fine.

Well that was yesterday. This morning it started fine and it got me to work. I parked up turned the engine off and as i was curious turned the ignition on. Trans Program came up again. i didn't try to start it as I was at work. will see what happen when I try to get home.

I haven't had the car long so I don't really know the history of it. anyone have any ideas as what the problem could be. Is starting with the battery a good idea.

i look forward to your replies.

cheers

Katan6434
1993 540 Auto

shogun
03-15-2005, 08:10 AM
Check the battery and the charging voltage of the alternator first:

Find a digital multimeter and stick the probe into the cigarette lighter socket in the center console. Plus into the lighter socket, minus at the side metal/edge of the cigarette lighter. Or if you have a glove box torch socket, put it in there, or directly at the battery posts, whatever is more convenient.

The following are the detail figures I use for my own evaluation:
With key out of ignition switch, should see 12.4V or above. 12.0 V is getting low.
With key inserted and turned to position 2 (don't start car), should see 12.0V or more. 11.6V would be too low.
Crank car, catch the lowest voltage reading during that couple of seconds. Should see 10.0V or above. 9.5V would be marginal.
The above just consider the health of battery itself.
Car running at 1500 RPM or more, should see 13.7 to 14.3V, 13.6V or below means the charging system is weak.

Katana6434
03-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Hi thanks for the reply.

Just for your info I have managed to try a new battery on the car and the same problem still exists.

Shouldn't the car start even if it shows the trans program error!

I will check my battery when I get a chance and find a multimeter.

Anyone have any other ideas.

Cheers

Check the battery and the charging voltage of the alternator first:

Find a digital multimeter and stick the probe into the cigarette lighter socket in the center console. Plus into the lighter socket, minus at the side metal/edge of the cigarette lighter. Or if you have a glove box torch socket, put it in there, or directly at the battery posts, whatever is more convenient.

The following are the detail figures I use for my own evaluation:
With key out of ignition switch, should see 12.4V or above. 12.0 V is getting low.
With key inserted and turned to position 2 (don't start car), should see 12.0V or more. 11.6V would be too low.
Crank car, catch the lowest voltage reading during that couple of seconds. Should see 10.0V or above. 9.5V would be marginal.
The above just consider the health of battery itself.
Car running at 1500 RPM or more, should see 13.7 to 14.3V, 13.6V or below means the charging system is weak.