PDA

View Full Version : Intro, Sachs Sporting Kit

Jon Brush
03-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Greetings,

I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. I'm from Newton MA, and have had my '92 535i/5sp since 1997. I am CCA member 122268 and a charter member of the UUC Garage. Previous BMWs include a '67 R50 and a '72 R75/5. I'm married with two grown kids and am an official geezer. Interests besides BMWs are boating (currently both stinkpots and real boats), traveling, and hanging out by the water.

I love my E34 and want to keep it as long as possible. My question today is whether anybody in Greater Boston has a Sachs Sporting suspension installed on an E34, and would be willing to meet for a test ride/drive. I need to update the shocks on my car so this would be the time to make the move, but I want to be "sure" my aging bod will not be too sensitive for this setup, on our wonderful roads.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

632 Regal
03-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Hello Jon and welcome to our little community! I can't help you with your Sachs request but wanted to drop a hello to you.

liquidtiger720
03-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Welcome to the website. It's too bad you are a tad bit far from me, I just got the sachs kit in =).

Patrick
03-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Welcome Jon. Although I'm in and out of Boston (Belmont) every few months and have a Sachs kit on my 5er -it's in Denver.
I will say you won't be disappointed by going with the Sachs, it's a firm and predictable ride imo, and I've never read of anyone regretting they used it.
Rory, who is on the board here and is in Boston, might be able to help you out although I don't know what suspension he's running.

Kalevera
03-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Hi Jon. Welcome.

I agree with what everyone's said, especially Patrick -- it's firm and predictable. If you're running stock 15's (or maybe even 16's) with a healthy sidewall, you'll probably find the ride quality close to stock. On my 17's, Ohio roads get a little trying at times...

best, whit

Rory
03-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Rory, who is on the board here and is in Boston, might be able to help you out although I don't know what suspension he's running.
Jon,

Offer still stands if you want to drive my 5 with Bilstein Sports/H&R's. I am next door in Brookline so I am close. I am trying to think if I know anyone with a Sach's kit up here. I saw that Mighty Motors in Cambridge is doing a tech session at the end of April, may have some luck tracking somebody down there. Welcome to the group.

Best,
Rory

632 Regal
03-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Hello Jon, You Snoozin?

Beez540
03-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Welcome!

I'd like to find an E34 around here in Southern Oregon that has been lowered, just so I could at least look at it... I have had a lowered vehicle around here before and getting in and out of parking lots (let alone my driveway) in this hilly town was a biatch.

Jon Brush
03-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Hello Jon, You Snoozin?

Nope, just readin'. Thanks for all the welcoming sounds and I will probably take you up Rory on the offer.
Regards,
J

Jon Brush
03-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Jon,

Offer still stands if you want to drive my 5 with Bilstein Sports/H&R's. I am next door in Brookline so I am close. I am trying to think if I know anyone with a Sach's kit up here. I saw that Mighty Motors in Cambridge is doing a tech session at the end of April, may have some luck tracking somebody down there. Welcome to the group.

Best,
Rory

Hi Rory,
If you are around this Sunday afternoon, and we *dont* have another snowstorm, maybe we can get together. Shoot me a note offline if you want.
Jon
<jonbrush@gmail.com>

califblue
03-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Welcome John, I have the same year & model w/ Sachs kit and M-Tech Sways :p ...if you come so So.Calif you can try mine out
http://www.labusas.org/photopost/data/500/415er.jpg

http://www.labusas.org/photopost/data/500/41interior-med.jpg

Jon Brush
03-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Hmm. Nice car and unusual color. Too bad, I was just in SoCal last month, during the floods. Stayed in Marina del Rey, then went to the desert for a business conference. My buddy did take me for a trip through the canyons in his Dinan E39 540 on one sunny day. Then we went sailing. Not like snowy Boston that's for sure.
J
PS I take it you like the Sachs?

Patrick
03-15-2005, 11:51 PM
(nm)