PDA

View Full Version : Accerelation Problem

InfernoM3
03-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Hi I am posting a new thread for my problem with my car. here is the previous.
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10113&page=1&pp=10

Anyway my car CHECK ENGINE flashes usually when I'm accerelating at 3K RPM in 3/4/5 gear. Works fine in low gears. Stomp test shows 1221. MPG is also lower usual 25mpg hwy is now about 18-20. Before replacing the 02 sensor the car was even more sluggish at all gears and MPG were like 10 street and 14 hwy. What can causing the light to keep showing and the problem at higher gears. I"m out of ideas. Somone suggested vacuum leaks but I heard this is usually only at Lower RPM and idle.

infinity5
03-14-2005, 02:12 PM
There are lots of things you can check, i'm sure a few have already been mentioned. before you ask 'what the hell is that' or 'how do i do that', do a search on the forums, lots of people have problem similar to yours and have posted extensive write ups of tracking down codes and electrical problems. after that just ask specifcally how to check something you're not sure of.

check your MAF/AFM
fuel filters
spark plugs
distributer/coils
spark plug wires
oxygen sensor (you said you replaced it? do you know anyone with a good one you can swap? did getting a new sensor improve your situation at all?)
fuel pressure regulator
fuel lines
vaccum leak (as was discussed before)

you could clear the computer memory by disconnecting the battery and then connecting the leads together for an extended period of time.

good luck :) i always just poke around my engine to see what is going on. you never know what you might find.

infinity5
03-14-2005, 02:22 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7595&highlight=1221

do as billb says and search for his post about his code 1222. not the same code, but it might help.

DaCan23
03-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Also inspect the wires on the O2s very thourghly... especially under the heat shield wrappin on them. I had an O2 sensor reportin a fault and one of the wires was the problem

InfernoM3
03-28-2005, 04:51 PM
Ok i think I found two leaks.

1. intake elbow after the air intake. small cracks in plastic elbow tube.

2. I believe this is a vacuum hose somewhere in fuel injection system? small hose is dry and brittle seems like its gonna crack. prolly has some holes in it?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&prod=19890500&btnr=13_0232&hg=13&fg=15

Can anyone of these be causing my check engine light and lack of power, high fuel consumption? Trying to find anyting else before reordering another 02 sensor and taking it back to BMA.

thanks.

632 Regal
03-28-2005, 05:13 PM
fix the cracks on the intake elbow temperarily with some silicone rubber and then clear the codes. When your car throws the code it sets the computer to run with the fault and even if you fix the problem it will run the same until you reset the computer.

The other fuel lines should be replaced asap but I dont think they will send a code just fuel spraying all over your engine.

InfernoM3
03-28-2005, 06:08 PM
fix the cracks on the intake elbow temperarily with some silicone rubber and then clear the codes. When your car throws the code it sets the computer to run with the fault and even if you fix the problem it will run the same until you reset the computer.

The other fuel lines should be replaced asap but I dont think they will send a code just fuel spraying all over your engine.

Is that what part #8 in the picture does. It seems pretty dry? I'm not really sure of the purpose of vacuum lines are if that is what it is?

632 Regal
03-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Ohh OK #8 is a vaccum hose that regulates the fuel pressure. If that has a leak it will also make your car run like crap. Replace that and try the silicone and I'll bet your problem dissapeers after you reset the codes.

InfernoM3
03-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Ohh OK #8 is a vaccum hose that regulates the fuel pressure. If that has a leak it will also make your car run like crap. Replace that and try the silicone and I'll bet your problem dissapeers after you reset the codes.
is this a DIY for the hose? How do I replace and do i need to get a BMW part. I know Autozone has hoses? Not sure the size and length needed though. Also I can't seem to tell or know how to get to the end of the hose? It looks like it goes down somewhere under the engine. Might be tough for me to reach down there?

InfernoM3
03-30-2005, 07:01 PM
bump. Trying to determine if I can do this stuff myself or take it into mechanic but he charges mininum one hour labor + parts. If this is a like a quick DIY and not very challenging I can attempt it?

uberhahn
03-30-2005, 07:21 PM
you can use fuel line avalable at autozone. try to match the size (inside diameter). The fuel-line that autozone has is pretty poor and will also crack with time, but it should suffice for now.

632 Regal
03-30-2005, 08:28 PM
yep, and I dont know where the other end goes to...should go from the fuel pressure regulator to engine vacuum as far as I know. Sure your following the right hose down there?

InfernoM3
04-05-2005, 05:05 PM
yep, and I dont know where the other end goes to...should go from the fuel pressure regulator to engine vacuum as far as I know. Sure your following the right hose down there?
Ok, I've replaced every hose might be affecting my car? I replaced both vacuum hoses to intake manifold and the elbow air boot after the air filter. I'm about to give up. My car is still eating gas. getting under 18mpg hwy and like 12 city? check engine at 3-4RPM. could my new 02 sensor be defective. What else should i check out?

genphreak
04-06-2005, 09:21 AM
perhaps another thing u might have missed... the non-return valve for example... between my brake booster and intake manifold was bad- it had a little stem sticking out of it which on US cars goes back to the gas tank.

On Aussie cars it is slightly different; mine has a blocked off line which I think is the one that runs to the fuel tank /carbon cylinder on US cars. The line comes out below the neck of the valve, and is very small. My valve was old and I broke it off when I poked it... giving me an instant vacuum leak until i jammed a little screw in it, then bought a new valve.

2 things to do here-

1) check that tank return line- it might have a leak... I have heard that some people in the US block it off altogether as it is a factory afterthought for the pollution tests and is pretty counterproductive.

2) check the condition of the bigger hoses that go between the brake-booster and intake manifold (mine were dead) They are very very special non-compresssible hoses -metal reinforced- designed for handling the vacuum the engine creates under full throttle- u don't want these failing as your brak assistance will go with 'em)

Mine looked so bad I changed it on the spot, they were cracked and crumbly. The hose is expensive though- they do it only by the metre here in Australia.

Other things- look for leaks around fuel injectors and intake manifold pipes. The main AFM boot can be replaced for $7- the old one will be hard and may not seal round the AFM or less likely the throttle body intake. Is the AFM output a nice round ring? Sometimes people chasing leaks tighten those big clamps up too much, crushing the alluminium into an oval with leaky kinks. Mine was, had to replace the AFM ($11) on eBay.

Poor consumption- check your injectors are clean- whip em out and look at the pintle caps for carbon/petrol deposits. They probaly need to be cleaned too, if the intricate pintle caps are mucky they won;t spray fuel right, wasting plenty of good combustible fuel into your engine...

:) GP

InfernoM3
04-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Went to a service shop Autobahn or something by LAX. They couldn't really figure out w/ was going out w/ it. Hooked up something to read the computer. Said 02 sensor was fine. They were saying that maybe I put in the wrong spark plugs and they said I need a Service 2 for $700. I bought the car like 9 mos/7000 miles ago. the previous took pretty good care of it and performed the service. Are they trying to jack me!!! Do I really need to perform a service in order to figure out the problem? Another shop wanted me to leave it for the whole day to inspect, but i didn't have the time or a ride. I guess I'm back to where I started.

I will try to look at the items GenPhreak mentioned w/ my lack of mechanic ability or knowledge. Maybe i'll get lucky.

InfernoM3
04-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Now I'm starting to think it could be one of these two things? waht can I do to test?