PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Washer Level Sensor

Jon K
03-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Is there any way I can close-loop or simply jumper the stupid washer fluid level sensor? I am going to be doing some modifications in the near future that will require the removal of the washer resevoir tank all together any way, I don't think I want to replace the $25 sensor to remove the system all together later. Argh its so annoying, and the resevoir is filled to the tippy tippy top of the fill line!

Mobius
03-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Check it with a multimeter to see how it behaves, and whether or not you can jumper it to disable it.

If it's not working now, though, it's probably because it's rotated the wrong way. The flat side on the side of the sensor lines up with the flat indent on the tank.

I'm rather ashamed that it took me a while to figure out that was the problem on my car. :)

Kalevera
03-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Jon, I think the floater completes the circuit. I took my old one apart...looked like it basically sensed where the magnet was to determine the level (as Mobius said - if the magnet wasn't close to the sensor, it thinks the reservoir's low or empty). So it seems the quick, easy, and dirty way to get around the check control is to affix a magnet onto the sensor and leave the whole contraption wired up.

I forget...Are you supercharging or installing a blower?

best, whit

BennyM
03-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Hey Jon, my sensor started giving me false warnings and driving me crazy, so I simply disconnected it and linked the two wires together. A closed circuit is all you need. No annoying warnings since.

BennyM

Is there any way I can close-loop or simply jumper the stupid washer fluid level sensor? I am going to be doing some modifications in the near future that will require the removal of the washer resevoir tank all together any way, I don't think I want to replace the $25 sensor to remove the system all together later. Argh its so annoying, and the resevoir is filled to the tippy tippy top of the fill line!

Jon K
03-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Hey Jon, my sensor started giving me false warnings and driving me crazy, so I simply disconnected it and linked the two wires together. A closed circuit is all you need. No annoying warnings since.

BennyM

Wish i had read your posts earlier... i had to venture into this one alone... wasn't too bad, i basically duct taped the magnet to the sensor....a ll fixed, i will bridge it to clean it up later on.

NO OBC WARNINGS!

mikemaster
03-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Yep, I used one of those blue (no wire striipping required) connectors and crimped them together. I'll know when it's empty. LOL

Brian C.
03-14-2005, 08:09 PM
I know that I had my E34 a bit over 3 years and probably adjusted/replaced/taped-my-sensor-shut at least 3 or 4 times!! It was a learning experience though. Yes, I did finally discover about the "correct" way up was. And yes, I did replace a perfectly good one. And yes, I too did tape the damn thing shut because, as we've discovered, we generally WILL KNOW when we've run out of fluid without the damn thing anyway!!! :p

Brian C.