PDA

View Full Version : Wipers not moving, but can still hear motor, what to expect?

DaCan23
03-14-2005, 10:47 AM
So my wipers just stopped moving, I can still hear the motor when turning them on. Havent looked at them during the day yet. At night w/ a flash light I could not see anything moving in there. Should I assume the motor broke off from the linkage? What should I expect to need for fixing it?

Thanks

winfred
03-14-2005, 01:26 PM
probably a loose nut let something strip out, if it's not too worn you may be able to just tighten it, most likely it's the part bolted to the motor that drives the linkage, but it's possible that a joint in the same area wore out and fell off

pundit
03-14-2005, 03:24 PM
probably a loose nut...
Yup!... There's quite a few loose Bimmer nuts around here! :D

DaCan23
03-14-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm sure I'll get some bloody knuckles doin this

Kalevera
03-14-2005, 04:13 PM
I had this happen to me in mid december after I'd let the car sit for a few days under a foot or so of snow. I could see the wiper linkages moving, yet the blades weren't. At first, I got that sinking feeling in my stomach (at that point related to the fact that I'd just spent a lot of money on the car and in parts to repair it and didn't want to have to pay for something else)...then I realized that it was an easy fix:

- Where the wiper arm meets the "joint", pop off the black plastic "cap" (might be a different removal procedure if you have speed adjustable wipers...see Bentley's).

- reseat the wiper and tighten the 10mm (I think) nut. No need to remove the windscreens.

best, whit