PDA

View Full Version : Belt squeal at low revs, new belt fitted

Paul_540i
03-13-2005, 02:09 PM
I have a problem that the main belt on my 540 is squealing both very briefly at startup (which I guess was due to high load from the alternator) and when the revs are low and the steering is being turned such as parking (presumably now due to the power steering load). When this happens you can also feel the steering get heavy as the belt slips.

I assumed the old belt was worn so replaced it. But it's made no difference. It appears that the tensioner is tightened right up, but I'm not completely sure on the adjustment technique.

Can someone please let me know the correct adjustment procedure, or is it possible that the tensioner itself needs replaced?

Thanks.

632 Regal
03-13-2005, 04:13 PM
you have to put the tensioner in its "max" position so that the spring keeps things tight. dont strip the bolt that holds it on the oil pan area, Winfred says that thats the weak link.

Paul_540i
03-13-2005, 07:29 PM
So what's the correct procedure for doing this? Any diagrams? It looks like it's already at its max position but maybe I've done it wrong. Thanks.

632 Regal
03-13-2005, 07:48 PM
well basicly you look at the slot in the adjuster and make sure its maxed to the end of its travel. If its already maxed then we have to look for another problem. Hope its this simple for you!