PDA

View Full Version : M50 starting problem, please help this is my first e34

jesse
03-13-2005, 12:22 PM
I bought a '92 525 about a month ago, the first time we had a 0 degree morning, it would not start. It cranks, but will not turn. I jumped the fuel pump relay, the pump runs and I hear fuel in the rail, but it will not turn. If I do not jump the pump and just use the relay, I get no power at the fuse when I crank, this leads me to believe something is disabling the relay. Based on my reading of this thread, I decided to test the crank sensor. I removed the allen bolt, but it will not budge. I have pulled with all my force and nothing. The wire does not come loose, there are no release tabs and I am throughly frustrated. Am I even barking up the right tree? I can't even figure out how to test for spark. I thought I would pull out one of the wires, but I got quite the surprise when I removed the top engine cover; where are the plugs?! I am new to the thread and new to this car. I would greatly appreciate a hand. Thank you. Jesse

Derek A.
03-13-2005, 01:54 PM
These cars are real sensative to cold weather and starting. If you only ran it for a very brief period of time the last time it was started it could be flodded. Best advise is to unhook the six coils (10mm nuts) remove them, underneath you will see the spark plugs. Pull them out. squirt a tablespooon of oil in each cylinder, put 6 new plugs in and try to start the car. It should light.

jesse
03-13-2005, 08:33 PM
But is it a problem that there is no voltage at fuse twenty three unless I jump the relay? I would think that the relay was bad, except that it won't fire with the jumper. Is something electronic disabling the relay, like a crank sensor? I have the crank sensor out of the bracket, but I cannot get the wire off to do an ohm test. Even if I put oil in through the fuse socket, why won't the relay send power to the fuse. What problems would cause the computer to not allow the relay to send power to the fuse?

Javier
03-13-2005, 08:57 PM
when you turn key, then it stops and start again when engine starts. If you jump the relay and try to start the engine, and you can't, relay is not the problem.

Forget about removing the crank position sensor cable, just locate the connector at the end of the cable attached to the sensor (if you get the cable out of the sensor pick-up, you simply broke it), and test resistance between the pins, one shield wire not connected to the others AT ALL, and about 600 ohms between other two pins.

Javier

jesse
03-14-2005, 02:00 AM
Thanks, I'll check it in the am. I appreciate your help.