PDA

View Full Version : Who has tinted windows ? Pros-Cons ?

Derek A.
03-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Thinking about doing a light tint on my windows. Looking for pros & cons. How dark did you go and have you had any legal trouble.

Bill R.
03-13-2005, 10:09 AM
bubble everywhere plus it had changed color to a purplish color. On our 3 we have the dark and as i've gotten older i'm not as thrilled with it as i once was, nightime visibility out the side and rear sucks with the really dark tint, I see that now they have some tint thats almost clear but rejects the same amount of UV and heat as the darker ones. We never have legal problems in arizona it seems with tint. Many years ago when i was involved in racing our tow Suburban had dark tint and we'd get ticketed every time we went to California, nowhere else just California.

Thinking about doing a light tint on my windows. Looking for pros & cons. How dark did you go and have you had any legal trouble.

Johntee540
03-13-2005, 10:29 AM
I have my car tinted and Pretty dark too in the rear. here is a link to some pics. http://members.cardomain.com/johntee540 Pros are the protection of the leather in the Backseat that takes a huge beating from the sun. Security as people cant see what you have in the back seat. and it looks really really cool.

Cons are the visibility at night while backing issue. Hope this helps - JT

Rory
03-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Derek,

If you live in a sunshiney climate then it is a great investment IMHO. When I was living in Atlanta it was outstanding. I could run the AC on 1 or 2 in the heat of summer (black leather) and it was comfortable. It also keeps the interior cooler when the car sits (assuming you use a visor too) for a couple hours. The key to tinting is to get a quality job and make sure the film is fully metalic. Dye's will wear over time and fade/turn purple. Metalic films will not fade or wear much over time, so say you have a window smashed in 4 years from now, a shop could put the same piece of metalic film in and it would match perfectly. The downside is that metalic film will absorb laser and radar beams if you use a V1 or similar, greatly cutting down the effectiveness.

Now that I am in Boston for a few years it is not mandatory. But I do like the look of a quality tint job and in the summer it is still pleasant. My film is 5 years old and it looks just as good as when I had it installed. Also, I have had great experience with FormulaOne metalic films. You will pay a bit for them (probably $250-300 for the job) but it comes with a lifetime warranty. My car has a 35% film which offers basically the same protection as a 20% legal rear window limit, but the tint color is uniform on all windows. Also, try to find a shop that does a single piece film for the rear window so there are no creases. YMMV.

http://www.sprousehouse.com/bmw/525_Side.jpg

Best,
Rory

Beez540
03-13-2005, 04:15 PM
I had mine proffessionaly done (which is the ONLY way to go IMO). They use the metallic film. In my case it was a 3M product and it has a lifetime warranty on peeling, fading, color change, etc. (if you scratch it with your seat-belt buckle thats your problem).

In Oregon the legal limit without a Doctors clearance, is 35% light transmission. So basically I'm letting in no less than 35% of the available light shining on my car. It's also 100% UV protected where the tinting is I believe. Obviously the windshield is not tinted, just the band at the top from the factory.

I think it looks great. It makes a car (especially an E34 or something like it) look so much sleeker, even sportier. I have had little to no trouble with visibility, although I've only had it on for about 2 weeks.

You can get all the information you could possibly want by checking out this site, it has links to state laws, tinting possiblities, materials, process, etc.
Check it out: http://www.tintdude.com/

632 Regal
03-13-2005, 04:21 PM
do it yourself and save!

lmao

ever see that? usually on some young kids car, tints peeling off and hanging, bubbles dirt hairs fingerprints lmao...

rickm
03-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Saw one today, someone at work bought a fairly trashed Expedition. Not sure WHO tinted the windows but they need to go on some drugs or something (or go off of them). None of the places where the glass and trim met were straight, the cuts remind of of the topo maps I have of the Rockies :D

Robin-535im
03-13-2005, 06:47 PM
I've got really dark tint on my 535, and I'm considering taking if off actually. It makes the car look a little too "bad ass" for my taste - so much so that last week the cops pulled me over for "terrorizing and harassing", when all I was doing was driving aimless circles in a parking lot waiting for my car to warm up. I'll have to post the full story sometime, quite a hoot! I personally wouldn't do it if my glass was clear, for the cost to do it right you could probably get some cool part like new injectors or whatever happens to be broken (brake light sensor, washer level sensor, ballast resistor for aux fan, the list is endless!)

Beez540
03-13-2005, 07:23 PM
to have my whole car done by the pros only cost me $200 even.

Derek A.
03-13-2005, 07:58 PM
I just put a set of injectors, got a new muffler, repainted my wheels - with the exception of a fresh valve adjustment I don't think there is a whole lot of cool stuff to spend money on. May have to get the windows tinted and add some shadowline trim :)

Anton CH.
03-13-2005, 10:03 PM
I decided to go with a light 25% tint all around. It's great, I can actually see everything through my rearview mirror at night (unlike my friends with limo tints). If you are worried about the law, just roll down your windows if you ever get pulled over. The main reason they don't want you to have tint is because they want to see what is going on in there. I noticed that here in CA they are very leanient on things if you have a luxary car.

BMWE34M5
03-13-2005, 10:06 PM
No problems with dark tint-a must in Florida.
http://www.abrahamsmotorsport.com/mel/P1010033.JPG

Zeuk in Oz
03-14-2005, 02:54 AM

I must admit ignorance over the composition of the glass in the side windows on E34s but in many cases of other makes I have seen the tint hold the glass together so that it doesn't spray over the occupants in a crash.

Apart from that it is an absolute must in Oz - just to reduce the amount of light.

Interiors of tinted cars last much longer than untinted ones. Probably has the same effect on our skin !

If doing it, get it done professionally - no buts ! :D

Badkrma
03-14-2005, 10:17 AM
I just had mine tinted. I did "Limo" - 10% in the rear, and rear doors and 20% in the front. One of my clients did it (auto detailer) and gave me a great deal $100. Need it here in Nevada for the summer. It is a little hard to see out of the rear at night, but I am not unhappy with it al all.

Tcdoe
03-14-2005, 10:57 AM
http://www.abrahamsmotorsport.com/mel/P1010033.JPG

Nice car, love the wheels!

Hector
03-14-2005, 11:10 AM
an aftermarket rear sunscreen that can be manually rolled up/down, and it covers more than 90% of the window. Like this setup.

shragon
03-14-2005, 02:43 PM
make sure you get a quality tint such as 3m. my side windows are 35% and the rear window is 20%.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTA0MjA3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTA0MjA4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Bill Marshall
03-14-2005, 03:56 PM
I had a 3M metallic tint installed on my 540 and I like it. However, beware of these disadvantages:
-my AM reception is in the toilet
-the rear window defroster works but nowhere as efficient as previously
-unable to register the vehicle in DC (but it was OK in CA and VA)
-it is darker inside, but I like it that way

Advantages are;
-much cooler in sunlight and the A/C works more efficiently (never above the lowest speed)
-looks great to my mind

Shimamura3
03-14-2005, 09:07 PM

Tint will make every nick and scratch on the outside of your windows visible. A little disturbing at first, but you get over it after a week or so. The pro (3M or whatever) is the only way to go. I had my Toyo done eight years ago and it hasn't delaminated or changed color. Don't be afraid to shop around. There's a huge variety of hues and shades. I think 35% is legal in almost every state. Any darker and you may run into trouble. Here in Colorado the rear can be as dark as you like it, but the front can only be 35%.

I'd stay away from the "limo" tint - especially multiple layers. I had it on my Skyline in Japanland. Very cool until you need to back up in the rain or at night and can't see your mirrors without rolling down a window or two. Most shops will have an after hours or cash only deal (no receipt) for people looking for tint that's darker than whatever the legal limit is. $190 is about average for a quality job. Kids/pets and tint are a deadly combination. As is my wife's ring.

Anyway, if you go for it you won't regret it, but be prepared for to take care of it. No Windex or paper towels!

rockyfeller
03-15-2005, 01:05 AM
I've tinted cars myself in the past, but I'm glad I left my E34 to a profesional. What a pain! Bubbles and seams never come out right. $160 bought me scratch resistant, UV resistant, legal tint w/a lifetime warranty. The guys did a flawless job. Looks practically like the glass was made that way. You can't beat that! I was cautious and did a 35% all around and 20% rear window job and turns out it's legal in my state. Been pulled over a couple times for speeding and the cops never said anything. (They would always say something with my old car with 20% tint.) I went with 35% because I thought light tint would give the car a sleek, clean luxurious look. Nothing beats a tinted out black car. Matter of fact every car I'll own will have tint. I'm a photophobic type that always has my sunglasses on. Looking back though I'd say I shoulda went a bit darker....I think 20% all around would have been better. My other old car had 5% all around but I needed it as I lived in a tropical country at the time. Unless you live in that type of climate I'd advise against going that dark, not to mention that it's probably illegal in your state and downright dangerous. The drawback with that tint was if it ever fogged up you're blind and at night trying to back up is impossible unless you roll down the windows and the worst hell? When it rains at night. Trying to see in sharp turns without running into something or backing up and everything was fogged up, Urrgh! Drawbacks with the tint on my E34.....None.

Ted K
03-15-2005, 11:10 AM
I have it on my white 90 535 5 speed and love it. I went the legal limit all the way around. I think that is 30%

shragon
03-15-2005, 01:35 PM
I had a 3M metallic tint installed on my 540 and I like it. However, beware of these disadvantages:
-my AM reception is in the toilet
-the rear window defroster works but nowhere as efficient as previously
-unable to register the vehicle in DC (but it was OK in CA and VA)
-it is darker inside, but I like it that way

Advantages are;
-much cooler in sunlight and the A/C works more efficiently (never above the lowest speed)
-looks great to my mind
i have the same tint. my am reception still works, but every minute or so, it'll make a lil weird noise. i'm using an aftermarket pionner headunit. and i agree, the defroster doesn't work as well.

digitaldragon03
03-16-2005, 12:30 AM
here are some pics of my tint, i dont know the exact percentage because it was already there when i bought the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/digitaldragon03/Photo009004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/digitaldragon03/Photo009002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/digitaldragon03/Photo009003.jpg

Rory535i
03-16-2005, 03:23 AM
that car is bitchin!

Beez540
03-16-2005, 04:40 AM
Are we still discussing this????

sheesh, just spend $200 bucks and get a nice professional legal limit tint job.

You'll freakin love it. Your E34 will look sexy.

DO IT!

1995 525i
03-15-2007, 11:32 AM

It is as dark as is allowed in NC. No downside and the upside is a better look and cooler interior.

Qube
03-15-2007, 11:36 AM
So that's what splitters would look like. Nice! ...except sponsored by TurboCIVIC?! :|

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTA0MjA3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

BFEINZIMER
03-15-2007, 11:45 AM
I just gotta get the rear tinted to keep the backseat "privacy please"

leicesterboy15
03-15-2007, 11:57 AM
I would recommend it, I've got quite dark tints on my touring. It is safer and more secure if the glass is broken as it keeps the bits together, also harder to break, prying eyes cannot see in so they hide bags and TV Screens etc, the interior stays cooler and very private. And on top of all this I think it makes it looks more modern and very cool.

Downside on mine is visibility at night, sometimes I just have to use the force. You get used to the darkenss in the cabin (I don't notice it anymore).
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/Img_2000noplate.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/IMG_2004.jpg

Ross
03-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Night vision will suck. Negative attention from the law also. I just park in the shade.

Digita1 Ecstasy
03-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Night vision will suck. Negative attention from the law also. I just park in the shade.

? Wait so, a cop will pull you over because you have tint, ****, he wouldn't be able to go 2 blocks without lighting someone up. It's never given me negative attention, I think what pisses cops off is if you have your lisence plate tinted.

bsell
03-15-2007, 01:30 PM

How often do you use the rear window defroster? If you need to grind on the electric defroster rather hard, I would stay away from tinting.

I worry about bubbling my tint job by using the defroster for too long. My '95 525 came to me tinted just dark enough and I want to keep it looking good so I cycle the defroster in the attempt to keep the peak temperature down.

Living in Germany, I see a ton of E34's everyday and I must say they look kind of plain without tint, wheels and a drop job.:( The average German does not tint his E34, at least around here (Kaiserslautern).

Brian

RallyD
03-15-2007, 01:40 PM
this thread is 2 years old

and Derek's windows still arent tinted yet

Derek A.
03-15-2007, 04:46 PM
this thread is 2 years old

and Derek's windows still arent tinted yet

I bought Style 5 wheels and amplifiers instead :)

Macv
03-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Wooo thread revival!

I've done it before. But to add to the topic.... tinting is a must!

Boone.Msi
03-15-2007, 07:53 PM
careful about tinting the windows. Our cars come stock with 95% tint. I had 20% installed and 5% on the back. Got a ticket since my back window only had 1% visibilty = $120 down the drain.

I dont know why everyone is complaining about night visibility, i can see fine at night, maybe its not the tint thats the problem...;)

Oh yea, I LOVE my tint. Even though i got a ticket, i couldn't go without it. It gives it a completely different look.

cobb535
03-15-2007, 08:05 PM
My project 535 has the rear tinted and BUBBLING. Antone know how to safely remove the ting film without hurting the rear defroster?

Macv
03-15-2007, 08:49 PM
I dont know why everyone is complaining about night visibility, i can see fine at night, maybe its not the tint thats the problem...

I've never had a problem either.

shrike071
03-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Growing up in Florida, tinting was always a must-have in my cars. 105 degrees in the summer with 100% humidity and leather seats = scorched ass. That being said, I have always used Llumar semi-metallic tint in all of my cars and it has always performed flawlessly with no bubbling or fading. The key is to have it installed correctly! My wagon is currently tinted to the max that Georgia allows and my night vision is fine... I like it better because it knocks down the headlights behind me.

RallyD
03-17-2007, 08:25 AM
My project 535 has the rear tinted and BUBBLING. Antone know how to safely remove the ting film without hurting the rear defroster?

best done when hot outside.
I would use a heat gun.
My 525 was a Florida car and had two layers of tint on it. I already pulled it from the front windows but winter came so i'll wait until summer to do the rest.
I have one of those clothes steamers so i'm going to hit the rear window with the steam first, then use the heat gun as i delicately peel the tint. Then use goo-gone or wd40 or other adhesive removing solvent to take any excess residue off.

I will probably re-tint it much lighter (35%) because I leave it parked at the beach all summer and use a combination of the auto vent system and my own solar powered sunroof computer fan contraption.

Ross
03-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Curious about the "contraption" Sounds like something I'd like to see and perhaps copy.

etcetera
03-18-2007, 08:27 PM
do it yourself and save!

lmao

ever see that? usually on some young kids car, tints peeling off and hanging, bubbles dirt hairs fingerprints lmao...

It's possible to diy. I did a pretty damn good job on an old beetle when I was a teenager. No bubbles and it was good for the few years I had it. Still, I wouldn't recommend it on something like an e34