PDA

View Full Version : $159 for a licence plate tab in Michigan..

Derek A.
03-12-2005, 10:07 PM
..what a crock of ****. Every year I cringe at writing that check. Michigan goes by the original MSRP of the car, so no matter what its worth now - you pay the high dollars. What a rip off.

Black 535i
03-12-2005, 10:28 PM

..what a crock of ****. Every year I cringe at writing that check. Michigan goes by the original MSRP of the car, so no matter what its worth now - you pay the high dollars. What a rip off.

Derek A.
03-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Be careful driving. Our tax dollars at work have created some of the world's greatest pot-holes !!

uberhahn
03-12-2005, 10:39 PM
I read somewhere that Michigan spends the least amount of $$ per mile of road. You'd think with the auto industry here in MI, the roads would be somewhat maintained. Instead, you're driving on a minefield.

uberhan

winfred
03-12-2005, 11:00 PM
i finally registered my 535 last week (after 35k miles on dealer plate/fleet insurance, if you think that's bad i've run about 75k on the e30) and paid $118 for ttl, it's good to be me :D

crashnburn80
03-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Tabs here in washington are a flat $30, no matter what you drive. Then there are sometimes county taxes, but not in the county I currently live in. :)

632 Regal
03-12-2005, 11:41 PM
yep...insurance on our 4 thousand dollar autos is also 5X what it would be for a 10 year old pickup truck worth the same.

KingSix
03-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Tabs here in washington are a flat $30, no matter what you drive. Then there are sometimes county taxes, but not in the county I currently live in. :)
Thats not to bad.. It was 144.00 to the town I live in, then over to the state DMV where I had to cough up an additional 55.00 for tags," Live Free or Die " my ass. Anyway, its better than what my wife paid for her brand new XTerra .. he he he ...

Paul in NZ
03-13-2005, 01:03 AM
sheesh we pay over two hundred bucks a year,and about 35 bucks twice a year for safety inspections,although insurance is not compulsory.My insurance is all bundled with house and contents so dont know how much it costs,although its higher than normal,probably related to engine capacity .

pundit
03-13-2005, 02:25 AM
In Australia (State of Victoria) annual vehicle registration & compulsory third party insurance is $560.00 AUD (about $450.00 USD) Compulsory Third Party covers personal injury to all 'humans' - no vehicle cover) The 'registration' part is just a tax. Stamp Duty is also applied to this which makes it a 'Tax on a tax!'

Comprehensive vehicle insurance (not compulsory) covers damage to insureds vehicle and others - $756.00 p/a An excess of $300-$1000 usually applies. More stamp duty here as well. Car insurance is not compulsory in Australia and there are many cases of uninsured deadbeats driving shitheap cars causing accidents and walking away without paying a cent.

Stamp duty also applies to the sale/purchase of every vehicle new or s/h. This a calculated at a rate of $8.00 for every $200.00 of the price of the vehicle which is 4% of the vehicles value. This applies everytime it is sold a resold again until it winds up at the wrecking yard. Duty on a $12,500 car is $500.00. If it is sold 1 year later for $10,000 then the duty is $400.00. etc.

Our governments love stamp duty. It is simply a fee (tax) charged at a percentage of ANY transaction whether it be buying a house, car, insurance, travel whatever you can think of. It doesn't matter that all these items are already taxed... the stamp duty is even applied to the tax component. These 'tax on taxes' should be illegal!

Question: In the U.S.A. does your insurance policy apply to the driver or the vehicle? Someone told that in somes states insurance applies to the license holder not the vehicle. So as long as the driver is insured that's all that matters. Is this true? Over here you if you own four cars, even if no one else
will ever drive them except you, you must have them each individually insured.

PhilipJCaputo
03-13-2005, 02:33 AM
Question: In the U.S.A. does your insurance policy apply to the driver or the vehicle? Someone told that in somes states insurance applies to the license holder not the vehicle. So as long as the driver is insured that's all that matters. Is this true? Over here you if you own four cars, even if no one else will ever drive them except you, you must have them each individually insured.

I don't really know.... but I find it hard to believe that the person insured and not the car. Usually when someone tells me that kind of story, I say "What if you were car-jacked, and the person who stole you car got in an accident and totaled your car."

I think that most rational folks are in agreement that the car is insured, not the driver. But insurance companies want to know who will be driving the car the most, so they can charge a higher premium

pundit
03-13-2005, 02:39 AM
I don't really know.... but I find it hard to believe that the person insured and not the car. Usually when someone tells me that kind of story, I say "What if you were car-jacked, and the person who stole you car got in an accident and totaled your car."

I think that most rational folks are in agreement that the car is insured, not the driver. But insurance companies want to know who will be driving the car the most, so they can charge a higher premium
That's what I would have thought.

Garlic Breath
03-13-2005, 08:28 AM

Do you have a state sales tax?

Derek A.
03-13-2005, 08:42 AM
In Michigan there are basically two types of insurance and they are both carried on the car. You have Personal Liability and Property Damage and then Collision coverage. The driver/owner of the car is taken into account when the policy is written - but it is coverage of the vehicle that is paid for. Insurnace for me is not really that bad. I pay about $150 a month and that covers the BMW, Corvette and my motorcycle.

One thing I found interesting about vehicle registration in Victoria was that the number plate stayed with the car its whole life. My dad had an HSV SV5000 when he was down there and the number plate was only a few nibers off the cars that the magazines were testing. Even if you sell it - the plate goes with it. Very different here. I have a stack of old Michigan license plates.

In Australia (State of Victoria) annual vehicle registration & compulsory third party insurance is $560.00 AUD (about $450.00 USD) Compulsory Third Party covers personal injury to all 'humans' - no vehicle cover) The 'registration' part is just a tax. Stamp Duty is also applied to this which makes it a 'Tax on a tax!'

Comprehensive vehicle insurance (not compulsory) covers damage to insureds vehicle and others - $756.00 p/a An excess of $300-$1000 usually applies. More stamp duty here as well. Car insurance is not compulsory in Australia and there are many cases of uninsured deadbeats driving shitheap cars causing accidents and walking away without paying a cent.

Stamp duty also applies to the sale/purchase of every vehicle new or s/h. This a calculated at a rate of $8.00 for every $200.00 of the price of the vehicle which is 4% of the vehicles value. This applies everytime it is sold a resold again until it winds up at the wrecking yard. Duty on a $12,500 car is $500.00. If it is sold 1 year later for $10,000 then the duty is $400.00. etc.

Our governments love stamp duty. It is simply a fee (tax) charged at a percentage of ANY transaction whether it be buying a house, car, insurance, travel whatever you can think of. It doesn't matter that all these items are already taxed... the stamp duty is even applied to the tax component. These 'tax on taxes' should be illegal!

Question: In the U.S.A. does your insurance policy apply to the driver or the vehicle? Someone told that in somes states insurance applies to the license holder not the vehicle. So as long as the driver is insured that's all that matters. Is this true? Over here you if you own four cars, even if no one else
will ever drive them except you, you must have them each individually insured.

632 Regal
03-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Michigan state tax is 6%

bahnstormer
03-13-2005, 07:34 PM
so far nj is the best....
pa sucks ass too

George M
03-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Derek, like yourself and Jeff, I too live in Michigan. On my 735iL which I recently sold, tabs were $200 and yes I too would cringe each year. My tax lady would somehow write my car tags off however...not sure how :p
I sure won't miss that outlay this year...a complete rip off. At least they abolished that gdam emission testing debacle. The other rip off pertains to having a multiple car insurance discount. I have priced my car insurance both ways and having two cars is cheaper...with one in storage...makes me a bit silly mad.
Cheers,
George