PDA

View Full Version : Possible cause of false check lights messages with headlights on?

Martin in Bellevue
03-12-2005, 01:11 PM
A replacement relay from Vines has been ordered to isolate a possible cause of the false light out messages. The message do not occur every time the headlights are on. The false messages include bad fog lights, high beams & license plate lights. The wiring harness on the left trunk hinge has been repaired.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Martin5er/CrashAlarmRelay.jpg

shogun
03-12-2005, 02:04 PM
That is the crash alarm relay and sits right side of the CCM. In my opinion it has nothing to do with your lights. Resolder the LKM.
I changed my crash alarm relay because the hazard flash lights came on suddenly when driving.
Also resolder the mustard relay.

Paul in NZ
03-12-2005, 05:51 PM
martin do you have headlight adjustment motors?....I think there was a whole thread on this recently,some kind of noise signal from a dodgy motor was causing problems with the ccm

shogun
03-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Good point, Paul.
If the headlight self levelling motors draw too much power, there will be always the warning light on that something is wrong with the lights, altough all lights work.
Often the case on European cars and probably in Aussie.
But from what I have read, US cars seldom have this feature of self levelling headlights.
In Europe it is even a requirement for street legal cars to have headlight self levellling, unless the car has LAD.
Otherwise, if the trunk is full and in the rear sit some heavy persons, the headlights shine into the sky but not on the road and 'blind' oncoming cars. But apparently that is not that important in USA.
Anyway, if you have the motors installed at the back of the headlights, just remove the connectors. If problem with the warning is solved, buy new headlight motors. Or remove them and switch them 50-100 times from one end to the other so that they are getting cleaned up and the motors run smoother.

Paul in NZ
03-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Often the case on European cars and probably in Aussie

sometimes in NZ

Martin in Bellevue
03-13-2005, 12:35 PM
I don't have headlight adjustment motors. That isn't one of the numerous check light messages that have been displayed. I also have swapped lkm's with known good ones; the programa unit in there is also recent. The check control unit has been swapped with known working one for no change.
The messages do no appear on every drive with lights used.

ewidjaja
03-15-2005, 05:16 AM
It was exactly my problems before, caused by bad capacitor in the headlight adjustment motor. Please go to the search in this forum and look for 'false alarm' and you will see the thread, including how to replace the bad capacitor (by me of course :)

Eri.