PDA

View Full Version : "Parking Light" illuminated in dash

JonE
03-11-2005, 02:36 PM
I've got the above warning on my dash with the "gong". The front driver's side parking light is out, but I can't figure out how to get at the bulb to check/replace it. Is this done through the hood or somehow from the outside of the car?
Please help, I can't stand that "gong" and now I can't bring anything else up on the dash with the "stalk".

Qsilver7
03-11-2005, 03:53 PM
and you should see an identation...use the screwdriver from the trunk tool kit to lift the whole unit out...then you can remove the bulb from the wiring harness and put a new one in.

Here's a diagram of the sidemarker lights: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HJ63&mospid=47414&prod=19951100&btnr=63_0165&hg=63&fg=10

BlackOnBlack
03-11-2005, 11:45 PM
I believe Jon is talking about the "blinker" light next to the headlight on the front...not the sidemarker.

I just replaced the same sidemarker a week ago. small flathead screwdriver under the notch side, then easily working it out. The tang inside will bend as you pull it out. That's ok, just get some pliers and bend it back into shape before you put the assembly back in.
Thing is though, I didn't have any "Parking Light" alert on my screen, which means either my alerts aren't working or there isn't an alarm for the sidemarkers.

shogun
03-12-2005, 12:13 AM
You will get an alarm also if the side markers are not working. A friend here in Japan of the E32 Club installed LED side markers instead of the normal bulbs, since then he has the permanent warning, although all is working.

BlackOnBlack
03-12-2005, 10:18 AM
You will get an alarm also if the side markers are not working. A friend here in Japan of the E32 Club installed LED side markers instead of the normal bulbs, since then he has the permanent warning, although all is working.

Hmmm...interesting. I've got a '92 525im. The warning light wasn't on when the sidemarker was out.

Shogun, can you direct me in the right direction to check functionality of warning light system?

Steve

shogun
03-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Steve,
all the warnings come from the check control module. It controls all these things.
Did you ever get a warning sign or a gong? The British on the U.K. register call it "The Mother of all Bongs", hehe. It makes some people crazy when there is a problem and it keeps on 'bonging'.
If there is no 'bong', just remove a bulb and check once more. Maybe that bong is not connected or has been cut off by someone.
Remove the CCM and spray all the contacts with a good electr. contact spray, clean the contacts of that sidemarker light.
I would not bother that much about it.

JonE
03-12-2005, 05:19 PM
I believe Jon is talking about the "blinker" light next to the headlight on the front...not the sidemarker.

I just replaced the same sidemarker a week ago. small flathead screwdriver under the notch side, then easily working it out. The tang inside will bend as you pull it out. That's ok, just get some pliers and bend it back into shape before you put the assembly back in.
Thing is though, I didn't have any "Parking Light" alert on my screen, which means either my alerts aren't working or there isn't an alarm for the sidemarkers.

Yea, it's the parking light next to the headlamp, anyone replace a parking light bulb? How did you get at it?
All you guys who switched out to "clears" ought to know how to get that bulb out...
TIA

JonE
03-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Anyone? Still looking for help in getting at the bulb...

Javier
03-13-2005, 06:45 PM
parts # 13 and # 7 of this link.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD21&mospid=47383&prod=19920100&btnr=63_0042&hg=63&fg=05

Remove clips (#18) by turning 90 degrees and pulling up, remove back cover (#17). Use picture to follow on.

Javier

shogun
03-13-2005, 09:01 PM
The plastic bulb holder shown in above picture has an O-ring as you can see above. This gets dry over the years and makes it difficult to turn the bulb holder to the left to release it. Manual says push it slightly forward and then turn. When I cleaned my headlights inside I wanted to remove this bulb holder from the engine room as normally done when exchanging the bulb. When I touched it, it fell into oieces, it was so brittle over the years because of the heat in the engine room. The O-ring was so dried up, I could not remove the holder from the back (engine room), also because of the tight space in the engine room. Had to remove the whole headlight set from the front and the removed the rest of the holder by force.
Glued everything together incl. the bulb onto the front till I got a new bulb holder from the dealer.

JonE
03-14-2005, 11:42 AM
So, it looks like accessing the parking light bulb holder and bulb is done from the inside of the engine compartment. Looks like I'll have to remove the cover and all to get at it, right? Thanks for the pics, Javier and the brittle experience, shogun. Hopefully, everything will come out ok, but it is a 1990, so we'll see.