PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling Windshield Trim

danzee
03-11-2005, 12:45 PM
I lost one side of the outer windshield trim (“decorative frame”) on my E34 because the plastic retaining clips had become brittle and broke. Has anyone replaced just the plastic clips without removing the windshield?

After reading lots of posts, I decided I’d like to have a “pro” install the new clips and put the new trim back on. The pro told me he would have to R&R the windshield, with the danger of breaking the windshield in the process.

I’m back to trying a DIY. Now I am trying to figure out what kind of tool to buy or fabricate to make the self-adhesive clip installation go well. I tried one clip without a tool and I can’t get it between the glass and the gasket properly. The new “improved” clip design doesn’t make it any easier either.
Any advice based on personal experience?

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-11-2005, 01:15 PM
I haven't done this on a BMW yet. But I have had luck on other cars the have glued in windows. I would heat the area and clip with a hair dryer to soften up the black butyl adhesive and work the clip in.

Good luck

Alan_525i
03-11-2005, 01:28 PM
I really think you are asking for leaks if you try to get these in without pulling the windshield out. Might even break the windshield too. You have two options, epoxy the trim on and pray you don't crack the windshield later and have to replace it all or suck it up and replace the windshield. Chances are your old windshield is chipped up (as all BMWs are) and a new one would be a nice improvement.

danzee
03-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks, guys.
Not too nuts about heating the gasket or "permanently" bonding a new trim piece on. I may try to modify and attach the clips on the topside of the glass only provided I can get a killer adhesive - I'd hate to lose new trim! If that looks too risky, I'll let the pros do the R&R. If the windshield breaks in the process I'll have to eat it.

I really think you are asking for leaks if you try to get these in without pulling the windshield out. Might even break the windshield too. You have two options, epoxy the trim on and pray you don't crack the windshield later and have to replace it all or suck it up and replace the windshield. Chances are your old windshield is chipped up (as all BMWs are) and a new one would be a nice improvement.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-11-2005, 06:52 PM
You could also try to trim the clips and silicon them in place.

danzee
03-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Bonding on modified clips might be the way to go, but I think I will use something with a bit more strength. Perhaps 3M 5250 or the like.
Thanks.
z

You could also try to trim the clips and silicon them in place.

Jr ///M5
03-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Part of the danger of removing the windshield is the installation. Too many glass companies use too much adhesive and do not properly clean the area where the windshield seals resulting in an improper fitment and leaks. BMW is very specific about the amount of sealant used to properly make the windshield fit into the body. The windshield is also an integral part of the body as to collision and rollover integrity.

Too many times I've seen an improper installation where the sealant squeezes out into the cabin trim and the windshield frame doesn't fit properly around the windshield because the bead of sealant was too big. BMW is specific as to the size of the bead of sealant used. Special attention to the location of the frame clips should be noted before the windshield is totally removed.

Talk to the glass companies that you plan on using to do the work. It's best to talk to the Tech that will be doing the work, or better yet, be there when they are doing the job. That way you can help them by showing the way the clip installation works along with the sealant problems to avoid. Taking your car to a prospective glass company you have chosen and talking to the Tech will give you an idea if they have done BMW windshields or if they simply say, "that's the way we do it", then politely say thank-you and leave.

Sometimes the best place to start is with your dealer, they often sub this work out. You should be able to get an idea of where to start in your search by asking them who they use.

Hope this helps,
Jr

Alan_525i
03-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Agree with everything Jr said. When I had my windshield replaced (after having had to "glue down" the center top of the trim (only two clips broke) I took it to my bodyshop. They were also the ones who glued it down while it was in for something else. I felt confident leaving the R&R with them because they only work on high end cars, have plenty of experience with BMWs and their glass subcontrator had been working with them for many years. I suggest you find a very good bodyshop and do it through them.

Jon K
03-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Agree with everything Jr said. When I had my windshield replaced (after having had to "glue down" the center top of the trim (only two clips broke) I took it to my bodyshop. They were also the ones who glued it down while it was in for something else. I felt confident leaving the R&R with them because they only work on high end cars, have plenty of experience with BMWs and their glass subcontrator had been working with them for many years. I suggest you find a very good bodyshop and do it through them.

Yeah the windshield is not part to skimp on. Now a days, the glass companys for the most part are real good with procedure because of insurance risk they might incur should their work fail. i was at a local shop in Quakertown out by school helping my friend remedy a stone chip that chunked a piece of glass out of his '01 Accord. The shop owner actually walked us through their shop and showed us several instances of work being done and how crucial it is that the glass is in straight and has the give-room that it's allowed else the screen will break should the body flex enough. And like JR said, the shop, if worth dealing with, will allow you to witness their work and or stand there as they do it. It doesn't usually take them very long to perform the work and you should be able to be there and just comment every now and then so they understand how concerned you are.

danzee
03-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the suggetions. All good stuff.
The shop I discussed this last week with had done competentwork for me on another car (not BMW) recently. About the E34, their tech told me on the phone "those clips go around the windshield ... etc. It sounded like he'd been there before. Nonetheless, I'll also check with my long-time first class body shop. They do superb work and I'm sure their glass sub is equally skilled.