PDA

View Full Version : New 3 series E90

MotoMan
03-10-2005, 12:45 PM
HI all,

I just attended a course today on the new e90. Damn it's a fine car and stunning looking. I must admit the rear end needs getting used to, but as for the rest it's awsome,

just wanted to share it with u guys,

Take care

lino
03-10-2005, 12:53 PM
HI all,

I just attended a course today on the new e90. Damn it's a fine car and stunning looking. I must admit the rear end needs getting used to, but as for the rest it's awsome,

just wanted to share it with u guys,

Take care

I love the car. I think they did an incredible job with it. It's like a "Mini 7". BTW, do you work for one of the dealers?

jplacson
03-12-2005, 01:51 AM
I think the new 3 looks fugly. a mini 7? well, the 7 ain't that great looking either. Much better than it's pre-facelifted version...but still ugly.

The rear looks like a cheap Nissan (actually the Nissan Sentra looks better)

If it wasn't for the roundel, I don't think anyone would like it.

Derek A.
03-12-2005, 10:06 AM
The dash has more in common with a Buick than a BMW. Remember when it all used to angle towards the driver??? Ultimate Driving Machine ?? Not ultimate look cool in front of Starbucks machine.

Long live the e34 !!!! maybe and e39 and maybe an e38...but thats it :)

George M
03-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Love Lino's comments...new E-90 is like a mini-7. Now that's a compliment... bwhahahaha. Gee...a new BMW with questionable rear end styling...what a surprise. Bangle ain't no bootie man....more like a dumb a$$.
George

bondheli
03-13-2005, 02:18 AM
http://www.nodalpoint.net/doc/e90/

http://www.discountpartcenter.com/photos/08-06-04-01-BMW-M3-e90.jpg

lino
03-13-2005, 02:52 AM
Love Lino's comments...new E-90 is like a mini-7. Now that's a compliment... bwhahahaha. Gee...a new BMW with questionable rear end styling...what a surprise. Bangle ain't no bootie man....more like a dumb a$$.
George

I have a my own way of looking at cars and their designs. We are all entitled to our opinions. I love the new BMWs regarding the styling. I don't appreciate the lower quailty of the fit and finish and materials though. I also believe that they could design and produce much better looking cars as well. Money is what ruins that for us enthusiasts.

Do you really find this car that repulsive?

http://img222.exs.cx/img222/5960/copyof2005acschnitzeracs3f1920.jpg

http://img222.exs.cx/img222/592/copyof2005acschnitzeracs3fa192.jpg

http://img154.exs.cx/img154/4852/330i7dl.jpg

http://img154.exs.cx/img154/1755/320series20proto1iq.jpg

lino
03-13-2005, 03:00 AM
Check this out: Be sure to supersize the pics.

http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6050228.001

jplacson
03-13-2005, 05:03 AM
Yes, I do... looks like a Chrysler. All the skirts, and flarings can't save that thing. My comments are purely on the design, and not the performance, mind you. In the end... the roundel, and the performance of the car will save it. But looks-wise... no thanks.

I will continue my name campaign...

Beamers for bikes...

Bimmers for cars...

Bummers for all Bangle-bungle designs... hehehehe! :D

Wyn
03-13-2005, 05:05 AM
The interior doesn't have the dash angled towards the driver anymore... :(

DueyT
03-13-2005, 08:33 AM
I-drive? Eeeeeeeeek!

Well, it's the least-offensive of Bangles bungles -- I'm not a fan of the sharp crease wheel to wheel and the deep reverse curve of the side bodywork...

I'd take a 3 scaled-up to 5 proportions before I bought an E60...

Duey

winfred
03-13-2005, 10:08 AM
i prefer to call him bunghole *

Bangle ain't no bootie man....more like a dumb a$$.
George

George M
03-13-2005, 12:01 PM
If the bunghole fits eh Winfred?...lol. Yeah Lino I do find pretty much ALL late model BMW styling repugnant. Believe the E-46 is quite good and I like the Z4 pretty well though the Boxster by comparison is a much cleaner design. Believe the cars themselves excepting their unnecessary technical complexity are still state of the art but there are very few cars I dislike more than the new BMW's from a styling standpoint which I find inexcusable for such a celebrated marquee. BMW has conservatively 200 top car designers on staff from all over the world...the best in the business. And what kind of shapes are they producing? Convoluted and homogenized clones of one another...oh there is lineage all right...every new model is a butt ugly version of its next to kin. By contast the MB stuff and I am not a MB fan is better but believe the best designs are coming out of Asia. BMW has the talent...no question. It is the guys at the top however...Bunglehole for example...that makes the pick of all the designs from all the talent within the company. Once the designers figure out what the head idiot wants, they give it to him.
George

jplacson
03-13-2005, 01:38 PM
I don't think the E46 (the original one anyway) was a Bangle bungle. The face-lifted version is though... which is find a step down from the original E46.

The Z4 is ok...as is the X3... but then again, they didn't have anything to be compared to. I still like the Z3's styling...and would pick the M Roadster over the Z4.

No question that the new Bimmers have great performance (although reliability is questionable...I've seen a new E60 go completely dead in traffic, due to a faulty ECU)

But design-wise... ugh... Chris Bungle is really turning Bimmers into the ugliest cars on the road.

paul p (chi-town)
03-13-2005, 05:32 PM
The dash has more in common with a Buick than a BMW. Remember when it all used to angle towards the driver??? Ultimate Driving Machine ?? Not ultimate look cool in front of Starbucks machine.
Long live the e34 !!!! maybe and e39 and maybe an e38...but thats it :)It is obvious that the core ‘driver’ orientation has been being diminished over several models. 1st the e39 had the window switches moved from the center console (a better placement in a manual trans car) to the door. And now it’s hit the 3er. The expectation is that a majority of the cars will be sold w/ an auto and maybe even NO-drive. They initially came out w/ lighter steering in the e46............to make it easier to PARK!?! C’mon...
Yes they’re broadening the appeal, but at the enthusiasts expense.

On the styling....
Tell you what, sure that AC tuned 3er isn’t ugly. It will turn heads but, it isn’t stunningly handsome like an e34/e38, hell throw in the e36. The e39 is already a little honda-ish. Even the e36 update, when the ‘kidneys’ became trapezoids instead of rectangles was a step in the wrong direction. In person i can tolerate the new 7 and the Z4, but the 5er really bites. The 1s look like they have some potential.
What’s truly eye caching today? The Caddy CTS-V, Dodge Magnum Hemi, Chrysler 300C, some MBs.
Oh then there's that absolutely gorgeous Maser Quattroporte(sp?)...

94 530iT&A, ‘Helga’---92 325i, ‘Rolf’…….”Hang up & Drive!”.......no, SERiously. (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
”Bet that phone call doesn’t seem that important now does it, huh." Nov 20, 2004

winfred
03-13-2005, 07:18 PM
i herd through the grapevine the other day from a good sorce that the windows CE operating system controling about the whole car, is capable of receiving a virus beamed to it from wherever and totally shutting down the car, i think it starts with the bluetooth system and ends with the engine computer. kinda gives you a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that some ******* with a palm unit can **** your car, me and a buddy theorized a while back that it would be possible to hack the system but dissmissed it as improbable, guess we weren't totally full of ****

George M
03-13-2005, 07:22 PM
hell, you don't need to hack it...it f's up enough on its own...lol.
George

winfred
03-13-2005, 08:42 PM
yea but this is really ****ed up, far beyond what it's capable of on it's own as i understand

hell, you don't need to hack it...it f's up enough on its own...lol.
George

George M
03-13-2005, 09:29 PM
how does that virus get beamed in tho? No question the computer can be hacked to shut it down.

winfred
03-13-2005, 10:21 PM
i think it comes in through bluetooth, as i understand you can't shut it down or restrict access, any bluetooth device within range will log in

George M
03-13-2005, 10:41 PM
excuse my ignorance but what in the F is bluetooth?....lol.
Is bluetooth a code name for the tail pipe?
Guess I got to get out more.
George

winfred
03-13-2005, 10:45 PM
i thought you woulda known, http://www.bluetooth.com/

excuse my ignorance but what in the F is bluetooth?....lol.
Is bluetooth a code name for the tail pipe?
Guess I got to get out more.
George

Zeuk in Oz
03-14-2005, 01:45 AM
needs getting used to
I think this quote says it all.

I must say I find the controversy regarding the "Bangle-isation" of BMW fascinating.
When I first saw the new 7 series in the flesh I must say I caught my breath and thought what a quantum leap had been made.
I think the E 60 is probably the nicest looking new car on the road, I obviously love my E 34 but unfortunately I dislike the E39. (I say unfortunately as an E 39 will probably be my next BMW given their amazing affordability at the moment - especially her in Oz - relatively speaking.)
The E 90 seems very conservative after the E 60 but is very attractive in photos and I will wait to see it in the flesh.
Obviously not everyone shares my views, but when you look at cars like the Honda Accord Euro - it is obviously greatly influenced by the new BMW styling direction, as, to a lesser extent in my eyes, is the new Subaru Liberty.
Having said all that, I thought the X5 was ugly when I first saw it, however it has grown on me in light of the new designs and I can now appreciate it.
What I am suggesting is that given time many of you (but perhaps not you George M or you John Lacson :D ) will see the new styling direction for the visionary approach to car design that I believe it to be.
Now if only they would improve the I-Drive...........

Bimmer Nut Ed
03-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Bluetooth is a short range wireless communications protocol, used in various applications like cell phones, computers, printers and other electronics. It provides for short distance communications and networking capabilities.

In the new bimmers all you have to do is have your phone with you in the car, and you can use your car as a phone. The phone syncs up with the car, and you can speak to the cars microphone, and listen to the cars speakers, in the stead of the phone. Cool technology albeit a little unnerving from a security perspective. But Bluetooth is supposed to be very secure, and only the phone that you sync with it is supposed to be able to talk to it.

winfred
03-14-2005, 09:45 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1211&e=10&u=/cmp/20050312/tc_cmp/159401349&sid=95609566

i thought you woulda known, http://www.bluetooth.com/

Jason
03-14-2005, 12:33 PM
For the first time, I saw a 5er followed by a pontiac in slow traffic moving in the oppoisite direction... The similarity was striking/appauling. To see the two cars together is just upsetting. I've confused a 6er for a pontiac before too. not good. I used to think the 5 was ok, but after this morning im having second thoughts

MotoMan
03-14-2005, 01:31 PM
I love the car. I think they did an incredible job with it. It's like a "Mini 7". BTW, do you work for one of the dealers?

Hey Lino,
yeah i do work at a dealer in south africa. I belive they say that we produce some of the best examples of the 3 here. I must say, i do not mind mr bangles designs too much. But i do not like the 3's rear... to rice for me.