PDA

View Full Version : LKM-B & LKM-L differences?

Interceptor
03-10-2005, 03:58 AM
Hi all,

I've been searching the net and this forum for details about these two versions of LKM modules but wasn't able to find anything useful. My car has the B (Basic) version and I still get all the warnings (lights on, ice warning, door open, coolant level low, engine oil low, washer fluid low...). My car also has the rear inner cabin lights (I've heard these were an option?) and the check control panel integrated into the dashboard.

Is there a reason to upgrade to LKM-L? What are the benefits?

Can anyone here clear things up a bit? :)

Javier
03-10-2005, 06:34 AM
(Lamp Control Module) has nothing to do with warning reports (it is task for Check Control Module). It generates all Lamp related alarms, but notifies the CCM so it can report them.

Any differences, then, should be confined to LAMP handling and monitoring characteristics. For example, I do not remember ever seen in my car a Fog Lamp alarm, also have a front left parking light blown and no alarm for it!

Javier

shogun
03-10-2005, 06:39 AM
One difference is that the LKM-L can check bulbs for defects when they are off also. LKM-B can only check the bulb function when they are on.
In connection with the CCM, Javier?

Interceptor
03-10-2005, 08:11 AM
One difference is that the LKM-L can check bulbs for defects when they are off also. LKM-B can only check the bulb function when they are on.
In connection with the CCM, Javier?
So, basically, if all of my bulbs were blown, I wouldn't know it until I try to turn them on?

The question is - are the two modules directly interchangeable? Except swapping the modules, will I have to do anything else to get all the warnings offered by the LKM-L?

ukm5
03-10-2005, 09:25 AM
the check control isnt responsible for all messages, the lights on etc

For older pre '90 (I guess) E34s for this message is reponsible the LKM unit. CCM plays no role here.
The LKM unit had two versions - LKM-B (Basic) and LKM-L (Luxury). Only the Luxury LKM has "Lights on?" feature.
For later (redesigned) dashboards the "Lights on?" feature was build in dashboard itself, so no LKM Luxury version is needed.