PDA

View Full Version : Headlight interchangeability

darkbeer
03-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Hello fellas. I apologize in advance that my first post is a question rather than the usual "welcome me" post. Anyway, there is a wrecked 89 735 with ellipsoid headlight at my mechanic's. My question is would this fit my 92 525? He's willing to give it to me for free if it fits provided I do all the swapping myself. That said, in case they fit, can someone shed me some insight as to how to remove the lights on both cars. Also, I noticed that the rear deck on the 7 has a sun shade. Will this also fit my E34? I just think it would be so cool to have the sun shade on my e34? Thanks in advance.

shogun
03-09-2005, 08:09 PM
The headlights of the E34 and E32 are identical, the ones of the E30 do not fit. The complete assemblies go out to the front. Open the bonnet, but do not lift up. Then you can reach the screws for the grill on the E32 and probably on the E34 too.
Here is a link to clean the E32 headlights and to remove them. That will help you to remove them, as the tricky things are the screws from the back. Difficult to reach.
http://www.8ung.at/behrens_homepage/maxfretter/headlights.htm
As for the E34, go to
http://www.e34.de
that is the German E34 board. Go to Schrauberecke and then look for electrics. There is a very detailed info how to clean the headlights on an E34, I think it is about 20 pages. There you can see all the screws inside and outside.
On the main page here (or do a search) there is the online ETK. That is the spare parts catalog. Use that one for disassembling and assembling. Under lighting there are explosion draeings of the parts and all screws are shown.

Is the rear sunshade on the E34 elecric or manual? Electric is more difficult anyway. But if it fits, I do not know, Just measure it. An installation instruction is on my website under tricks from David750 in Germany, he has EBA's shown there. EBA's are the official installation instructions and they are milti-language and have detailed instructions with pics.
Compare part numbers of rear shades E34 and E32 on the online spare parts catalog. The cut outs you have to make anyway.