PDA

View Full Version : Manual Reset, Harm? Whats it do?

DaCan23
03-09-2005, 02:30 PM
What does a manual reset technically do and any bad points to doing it?

When I say manual reset, I'm talkin about disconnecting both battery terminals and connecting them together for 20 min.

Thanks

Brett619310
03-09-2005, 08:44 PM
What does a manual reset technically do and any bad points to doing it?

When I say manual reset, I'm talkin about disconnecting both battery terminals and connecting them together for 20 min.

Thanks
I did this procedure a few times on my E39 to fix some electrical gremlin. On roadfly.org its known has the "Jim Cash Reset" procedure, since he is the one that posted it. If there was no harm to the electrical system on that car, I imagine there is even less risk on an E34. I know programming such as the Dinan software, etc. all stayed intact without getting erased because its burned in non-volatile memory.

shogun
03-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Jim Cash Reset? I know it under the name Shogun's reset ;-)
At least on roadfly's E32 board. Anyway, do it and it will help and cannot harm.
Even the PEAKE manual recommends it.
Procedure is shown on my website.
Good Luck

gale
03-09-2005, 10:26 PM
We call it the "Shogun Tune-up" over on the Roadfly e32 forum. Every once in awhile they can use a good re-boot :) especially helpful when sorting out auto trans glitches or idle problems. I think the 740's & 750's benefit the most from it, can't say the m30 makes much difference.

The only thing I'd recommend doing differently would be instead of touching the ends of the battery cables together directly, would be to jumper them with a 1000 ohm resistor to act as a current limiter, maybe throw a low amperage fuse in series with it as well (the battery terminals are already removed from the battery of course). Might not be necessary but will save $1000's if a stray surge were to result from a dead short.

No need to wait 2 hr's or so, 5 minutes at most while shorted will discharge all the residual charge stored in the caps. I usually just leave mine unhooked overnight without shorting, just to be safe, accomplishes the same purpose. You can do so without removing the seat to get to the battery, the lug behind the plastic cover in the right rear passenger footwell below the seat is the ground lead from the battery to the chassis. The only downside is when reconnecting the battery & driving it again, the DME performance chip has to "re-learn" its former peppy self until the engine comes back up to full performance, usually 1/2 hr. driving does it.

shogun
03-10-2005, 02:30 AM
Thanks Gale :)
How you do it, that is probably the easiest and safest. But people do not have time.
PEAKE talks about 5 minutes. See item 6:
http://members.roadfly.org/cheung1/FlashingEnotes.jpg

DaCan23
03-10-2005, 04:20 PM