PDA

View Full Version : is my battery dying?????

ryan roopnarine
02-18-2004, 07:02 PM
driving along fine, icv problem fixed, when all of a sudden i see trans program. think that the trans repair from last month took a dump on me, until i see that the cabin OBC lights are almost invisible, and that my tachometer is stuck at 0, and that the turnsignals aren't clicking, and that the brake fluid, srs,CEL lights are on, and the car is moving like a dog. turn around to go home, when i realise that by turning off the headlights acceleration improves. toward home, the car starts acting normally again, and the tachometer has moved to about 300 rpm. shut car off at home, try to restart it, and it almost does, but battery is too weak, but is somewhat cranking.....is this charging system or battery??? i am sick of this thing's demands...

AA540
02-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Take the battery to AutoZone and they can test it for you. If you need a new one that is the best place to buy it 49D is what you want. Make sure the one you get has a vent tube should be in a clear plastic bag.

ryan roopnarine
02-18-2004, 08:34 PM
duralast 49d in july for this car, its on the charger right now. i think the dying vehicle power (fuelpump) might have to do with the alternator though....hopefully i can fix it with brushes if it is.

MikeV
02-18-2004, 09:38 PM
First thing, check connections all the way back to the alternator. sounds more like an alternator-related problem if this happened while driving. After you can start the car again, use a voltmeter and measure voltage starting at the battery and moving towards the alternator. If you're not putting out 14+V at the alternator, it's probably bad. If you are, but you only measure 12 at the battery, there's a loose connection somewhere.