PDA

View Full Version : Source for Door Seals

av8r
03-07-2005, 12:19 PM
After 10 years of gettng in and out of the car the rubber seal/gasket has come off the body work and it is split.
Does anyone know where i can get a new one and does anyone have suggestions/information about installation.
Thanks in advance
Av8r
'95 530i

rbeaud
03-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Call BMA, (888) 262-3911, ask for Patrick or Yves. It's self explanatory to remove and replace once you pull off the old seal. The seal is C-shaped in cross section and fits over a rib that goes around the door. Be prepared, it's pricey, about $80 per door.

Cheers,

Roland

After 10 years of gettng in and out of the car the rubber seal/gasket has come off the body work and it is split.
Does anyone know where i can get a new one and does anyone have suggestions/information about installation.
Thanks in advance
Av8r
'95 530i

Dash01
03-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Other than the obvious suggestions like new seals from BMA or the dealer, you may get interim help by re-glueing the seals and splits with rubber cement. I did this on my Porsche door seals, and it's actually held up pretty well. Treated with silicone lube, they look new. In the past, I've been told that Vasoline jelly works well on seals, and helps to rejuvenate it. OTOH, petroleum products are bad for rubber. So, are the stock seals made of rubber or neoprene, which may be impervious to Vasoline? Gummifledge (or however that's spelled) has good reputation, but I've never tried it.

Other ideas I'm looking into, but without enough information yet, include:

1. Get some used magnetic strip seal from an old refrigerator, and modify the car door seals so they'll seal just like a refrigerator door does. This would work only if the car door seals are hollow (slip the magnet inside the hollow seal) or otherwise shaped such that the magnet pulls snug against the metal door, rather than the car body;

2. Inflatable seals are used in aircraft and probably a slew of other applications. I searched Google for inflatable seals, and various companies make it in a variety of shapes that would probably work well in a car's doorjam. Perhaps I can get some samples and experiment.

av8r
03-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Call BMA, (888) 262-3911, ask for Patrick or Yves. It's self explanatory to remove and replace once you pull off the old seal. The seal is C-shaped in cross section and fits over a rib that goes around the door. Be prepared, it's pricey, about $80 per door.

Cheers,

Roland

I think i made a mistake in describing the problem. What i need is the rubber part that glues over the cloth on the inside of the door frame. It kinda like sponge rubber. It is about half way off now.

632 Regal
03-07-2005, 01:33 PM
pick your color

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&prod=19940100&btnr=51_1510&hg=51&fg=55

You can chop a piece to fix the rears if they are just shrunk and not ripped.

wingman
05-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Hey AV8R did you end up getting this stuff? Mine are fine at the moment but I was wondering how you went and how hard was it to get right.

gale
05-11-2006, 07:32 PM
I found the right color/part number on www.realoem & bought a new one for the driver's door at the dealer for $57 with the BMW CCA discount. I'm hoping to cut pieces from the old one to cut & splice under the door sills for the other 3 doors.

wingman
05-12-2006, 01:02 AM
Good idea Gale. Let me know how you go and post some pics if a success.

Kibokojoe
03-26-2007, 03:05 PM
I just got a quote from my local dealer and its 140.75. Where is your dealer at?

I found the right color/part number on www.realoem & bought a new one for the driver's door at the dealer for $57 with the BMW CCA discount. I'm hoping to cut pieces from the old one to cut & splice under the door sills for the other 3 doors.