PDA

View Full Version : My Key in steering column turns and feels empty car won't start!

itsonlyme2
03-07-2005, 12:09 PM
I am a novice at this, and have read some of the forums on the steering lock mechanism.....but here is my question.....

My car is in the garage (thank god!) went to start car yesterday morning, and put the key in, and it went thru all positions and felt like the inside was empty (no resistance feel). Car wouldnt start....battery is good, lights, interior, etc...fine...

Afer reading the forums, I utilized the suggested reference on how to pull out the steering lock tumbler...(after a little distress I was able to get my homemade paper clip tool to remove the tumbler). I also used some graphite inside it BEFORe I removed it, but no luck to get it started.

Also, at the beginning when I took the key out, the dashboard was ding donging reading "key in ignition". I cannot also, get the car out of park either.

Now, my question is...I have the tumbler out...what next? I do not know what to look for as to what is broken. Any help on the next step and how to do it WOULD be so appreciated.

So far the forums have been wonderful with any prior problems I have found and how to repair them. I would appreciate anyone's step by step "what's next" help.

Thanks!

632 Regal
03-07-2005, 02:56 PM
sounds like the link from the lock cylinder that goes through the column is broken or popped off.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=HD53&mospid=47404&prod=19940600&hg=32&fg=30

shogun
03-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Try it again. Stick the key in till the end. If it is not completely inserted, that can happen. If that does not ehlp, see above comments.

itsonlyme2
03-07-2005, 11:31 PM
The lock cylinder turned out to be ok from what I can determine...and the next piece inside that follows the cylinder was in two pieces.....the part that is operated by the tongue on the end of the lock cylinder.

My son took the part and will tomorrow go to the local stealer and see what they say....He said there was no part number on this piece though....Is it part of something else or is this mechanism replaceable by itself?

Thanks for your help and the diagrams were great!

632 Regal
03-07-2005, 11:45 PM
the diagrams are on the online ETK, play around with it and you can get to everything on the car! Since people are showing me links to my own questions I wanted to see if I could find your steering column. What did the broken part look like?

itsonlyme2
03-08-2005, 12:18 AM
I actually only saw the piece that was broken off....It was only 1/2" depth and had the indentation in the center of it that the tongue fits into from the lock cylinder. There was some white plastic part around it also. My son came over and removed the whole piece and took it with him so I was unable to view the whole piece...

I looked at the diagram from the OEM site you mentioned and I don't actually see that piece shown there. It must be inside of the casting and I am wondering if, according to this diagram, it could be item No. 2 (interlock steering lock).? I do know it is the part before the ignition switch.

Thanks again for your help and when I find out the outcome of this bad predicament (sp?) I will follow up if you are interested.

You've been a terrific help and I appreciate it.

shogun
03-08-2005, 12:31 AM
http://evansweb.info/images/articles/20030119001513995_2.jpg
http://evansweb.info/images/articles/20030119001513995_3.jpg
Link to Evansweb from my website (http://evansweb.info/article.php?story=20030119001513995)

itsonlyme2
03-08-2005, 12:48 AM
http://evansweb.info/images/articles/20030119001513995_2.jpg
http://evansweb.info/images/articles/20030119001513995_3.jpg
Link to Evansweb from my website (http://evansweb.info/article.php?story=20030119001513995)

I did utilize that website for taking out my lock cylinder with the key in it. That was no problem...and that website was just exactly what someone needs to begin the process of removing the lock cylinder. But that website stops also, at that point.

I am at the next barrier which is finding out how much its going to cost to replace whatever the broken part is. And it is definately NOT the lock cylinder which I read quite alot of threads on and they pretty much match what everyone is saying. Its usually not the cylinder but another part inside of the casting.

Thanks for the reference...it was my bible for this task! :)

K_Po_Uno
03-08-2005, 07:01 PM
This happened to me three weeks ago. I had to replace the key cylinder tumbler ($96), and the steering lock housing ($146).

I'm impressed that you got the key cylinder out with a paperclip.... brilliant. Are you McGyver?

I got the local bimmer mechanic to do it; total of $530.

Gordie
03-09-2005, 08:51 AM
I too had this problem last month. It also was the lock cylinder housing. The housing is a "pistol" to remove, tamper-proof fasteners. Even though it was a small piece in the housing that was broken, the complete housing had to be purchased and replaced. I believe the job required that the air-bag be disabled and steering wheel removed.

itsonlyme2
03-09-2005, 12:48 PM
You are so right on the complete mechanism having to be replaced. My son went to the stealer yesterday and had to purchase the whole complete steering lock mechanism (i think that is the right description). He is a mechanic by trade and was able to get it for a better cost ($96). I have seen others post this for quite a bit more....

No, I wish I was McGyver! But it was funny, my son played with it for 20 minutes or so, then he went home and I gave it a try and after 5 minutes was going to give up...and pull the key out...and BAM...out came the whole cylinder! I was quite surprised (not to mention pleased!).

It looks like from everyone's comments the whole steering wheel has to be pulled off??? I was hoping that didn't have to happen, but I figured you did have to unplug a orange wire for the air bag?!? before you even begin. Also looks like this will be a challenge to accomplish to say the least.

He will be starting this (I hope) by tomorrow evening (thursday) after work...so I hope he can get this done in one evening as I really really miss my car!!

Also my key cylinder was perfectly fine also the switch.

Thanks for your help....I will follow up on the outcome of the procedure.

itsonlyme2
03-09-2005, 12:56 PM
When you disengage the airbag and remove the steering wheel, I assume you first must disconnect the battery?

By doing so, after you reconnect the battery, what issues have to be addressed, i.e. resetting the code on the radio, also the automatic door lock/alarm system? What other things have to be done?

DanH
03-09-2005, 02:07 PM
For sure disconnect the battery before removing airbag, or you'll be paying the dealer for a reset... Make sure you have your radio code if it the stock system.

K_Po_Uno
03-10-2005, 03:25 PM
I tried like hell to get that thing out with an allen wrench, graphite dust, and a six pack. All I got was drunk and mad. The mechanic has a special tool. He said that it's not just the downward force that disengages it, but a notch at the end that does it.

632 Regal
03-10-2005, 03:54 PM
huh?

itsonlyme2
03-10-2005, 05:37 PM
I tried like hell to get that thing out with an allen wrench, graphite dust, and a six pack. All I got was drunk and mad. The mechanic has a special tool. He said that it's not just the downward force that disengages it, but a notch at the end that does it.

We removed the plastic outside ring (with the elec connection on it) by prying it off with a screwdriver. I think a diagram refers to this as a "ring antenna adapter"....but anyway, that was off first along with the rubber o-ring behind it.

Like I said, I was just taking my left hand and over and thru the steering wheel and kind of twisting on the key lock cylinder while my "paper clip" tool (lol) was shoved into the hole by the key. And it was really strange it just popped off when I was going to let go and give up.

Dont know if you had removed that ring piece or not or if you had to anyway already to even get to this point, but maybe that helps.

I am now one step closer to getting this done as I now have the "interlock steering lock" part #3231160278 which is the whole casting....so next step is to tackle the job and get out the chisel and hammer..

bissellh
05-11-2007, 08:27 AM
I am having same problem except I was at a friends house. Now my car is stranded on the street in front of his house. A kid in his neighbirhood has already ran into my car on his bicycle and put a huge gouge in the paint on the driver door and knocked off my mirror. The mirror pops right back on, but now I have to get the pint fixed too.

I will go over there to remove key housing and tumbler to verify that the steerig column locking mechanism is causing my problem.

Will I be able to hotwire my car or start it by any means at all in order to get it home where I can do the repair? Or will a tow truck be required?

Ferret
05-11-2007, 08:34 AM
I am having same problem except I was at a friends house. Now my car is stranded on the street in front of his house. A kid in his neighbirhood has already ran into my car on his bicycle and put a huge gouge in the paint on the driver door and knocked off my mirror. The mirror pops right back on, but now I have to get the pint fixed too.

I will go over there to remove key housing and tumbler to verify that the steerig column locking mechanism is causing my problem.

Will I be able to hotwire my car or start it by any means at all in order to get it home where I can do the repair? Or will a tow truck be required?

If, and only if, you can get the lock tumbler to pop out, you should be able to just start the car with a screwdriver into the tumbler housing...

bissellh
05-11-2007, 08:59 AM
My key works just fine. I think it is the steering locking mechanism that is broken. I am not sure how removing the tumbler and barrel would help me. But, I will try it.

bissellh
05-11-2007, 08:14 PM
I was not able to remove the lock cylinder from the steering column. I tried for an hour with a heavy duty paper clip and the smallest allen key I have with no luck. I followed the instructions from the write up on bimmer board. It said to first turn the key to position 1 before attempting to release the cylinder with a stiff wire or other similar instrument keeping that instrument angled toward the key and not perpendicular to the key. I have to assume that position one is the auxillary position between the off and start position. I tried every position but had no luck release the darn thing.

Any other suggestions on how to remove the ignition key cylinder???

BTW, should I start anthother thread instead of piggybacking this one?