PDA

View Full Version : Hose and water pumps replacement

Ted K
03-07-2005, 01:34 AM
Getting ready to replace all the hoses and both water pumps. Any tips for those who have done this?

shogun
03-07-2005, 02:00 AM
The E34 has quite a number of different engines.
But basically it is all described on Bruno's and Gale's page. There are links to these pages on my website.

Kalevera
03-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Hey Ted.

I would pick up a tube of Hylomar HPF made by Permatex. It's available at any auto parts store, although, as I found out - nobody who works at these places knows what it is, so you have to hunt around and find it yourself.

I'd use it on all hose connections and on the water pump gasket/flanges. This serves as a second line of defense against future issues. I rebuilt my cooling system a few weeks ago and used it just to assure that I get that extra protection against potential leaks.

Best, whit

Kalevera
03-07-2005, 02:40 PM
also - do your thermostat while you're in there, if you didn't plan on it already.

Might as well do all the preventative maintenance at once, eh?

Ted K
03-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Hey Ted.

I would pick up a tube of Hylomar HPF made by Permatex. It's available at any auto parts store, although, as I found out - nobody who works at these places knows what it is, so you have to hunt around and find it yourself.

I'd use it on all hose connections and on the water pump gasket/flanges. This serves as a second line of defense against future issues. I rebuilt my cooling system a few weeks ago and used it just to assure that I get that extra protection against potential leaks.

Best, whit
Thanks Whit I'll see if I can find some. How did your hose clamps look? Should they all be replaced?

Ted K
03-07-2005, 03:02 PM
I am. The only thing I am not doing is the Aux water pump. What do you think?

shogun
03-07-2005, 08:32 PM
The aux pump is not that important. My one lasted 17 years and 120 K Km. If it stops you only have less warm air fed to the cabin when car is running at idle or at low RPM. The only prob is when the (usually) the bottom part where the motor is breaks and then you will loose coolant. Some people have even completely omitted the aux pump.
It is in any case easy to change.
I did all -valves and the aux pump- last year when the aux pump stopped. So one job to replace it all.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Check all the hose clamps.

If they are the BMW clamps, look them over real good for any warped or flatened teeth.

I found a few leaks caused by stripped clamps that could no longer be tightened down, and crusty water necks and pipes surfaces also cause leaks.

Kalevera
03-08-2005, 03:09 PM
I reused all of my old clamps because they are up to the task.

The impetus for me redoing the system was because my aux pump was leaking (and still worked fine). Shogun is, as always, right on the money in that you don't really need it. You could even take out the old one and bypass it...save yourself a headache.

best, whit

uscharalph
04-07-2005, 02:42 PM
This is also my next project. - 1989 E34 525i M20 - 220k

uscharalph
07-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Three months later and it's finally going to happen this weekend (Hopefully).

Scott C
07-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Three months later and it's finally going to happen this weekend (Hopefully).

Don't forget the "Hylomar HPF made by Permatex" recommended by Lowell...
The stuff is awesome, have not had a leak since...

Scott

uscharalph
07-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Picking it up tommorrow or Thursday.