PDA

View Full Version : m50, 5speed clutch problem

paul p (chi-town)
03-06-2005, 03:45 PM
My clutch is making these whining & scraping noises when i step on it. The whining is constant pretty much, but the scraping is intermittent.
This can be felt thru the clutch pedal, thoughout the travel except all the way down.
It started all of the sudden during the week. Hasn’t gotten progressively worse.....just showed up and has taken roost.
I’m figuring that this is the original clutch and i have detected clutch slip when pavement was dry and i’m being aggresive (think drag racing). But this was months ago.
I had in mind to replace the clutch before the comming ‘season’ (autoX hpde etc) but also wanted to replace the exhaust, tranny maybe motor mounts. Freshen things up, ya know.
Ideas? I wanna nurse him in his present state, till i get some time/funds.

94 530iT&A, ‘Helga’---92 325i, ‘Rolf’…….”Hang up & Drive!”.......no, SERiously. (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
”Bet that phone call doesn’t seem that important now does it, huh." Nov 20, 2004

dave b
03-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Mine did the exact same thing after squealing for a while courtesy of the throwout bearing. I got a lot of feedback through the pedal, and had a crunch at the bottom of the pedal travel.

I had the clutch replaced and the problem went away.

Dave

My clutch is making these whining & scraping noises when i step on it. The whining is constant pretty much, but the scraping is intermittent.
This can be felt thru the clutch pedal, thoughout the travel except all the way down.
It started all of the sudden during the week. Hasn’t gotten progressively worse.....just showed up and has taken roost.
I’m figuring that this is the original clutch and i have detected clutch slip when pavement was dry and i’m being aggresive (think drag racing). But this was months ago.
I had in mind to replace the clutch before the comming ‘season’ (autoX hpde etc) but also wanted to replace the exhaust, tranny maybe motor mounts. Freshen things up, ya know.

94 530iT&A, ‘Helga’---92 325i, ‘Rolf’…….”Hang up & Drive!”.......no, SERiously. (http://homepage.interaccess.com/%7Emotria/pablosgarage.html)
”Bet that phone call doesn’t seem that important now does it, huh." Nov 20, 2004

Derek A.
03-06-2005, 09:31 PM
If you let that go - you run the risk of damaging the flywheel. It sounds like the throwoutbearing is on its way out. It will eventually come apart and could jam up the clutch. That car uses a dual mass flywheel - not sure if there is a single mass replacement - those dual mass units are expensive.

winfred
03-06-2005, 10:01 PM
yep throw out bearing or pressure plate is in the process of crapping

crashnburn80
03-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Yep, throw out bearing. When mine went out it seized and broke several of the fingers off the pressureplate. The clutch then was permanetly engaged. For the flywheel, I talked to someone who said they were going to use a e28 535i flywheel to eliminate their duel mass one. I don't know if this works, but they had the part and had a shop that was going to do it.

paul p (chi-town)
03-06-2005, 11:40 PM
they were going to use a e28 535i flywheel to eliminate their duel mass one. I don't know if this worksWell that is now the $60000 question (ok maybe $600) dunno.
I suppose if i pull him out of service immediately i may get away w/ a fly-w resurface.
And hope that the guibo on das schleppen lasts for a week of daily flogging.
Crap!!!
Ok as if that wasn’t enough, the OTHER rear door latch mechanism decided to stop working this morning on teh 3er.
Yup both rear doors are now kept closed w/ bungee cords.
And today would have been a perfect time to put the rice-car back into service. Xcept some s-mom had totaled it last fall. Ugh!!! You know ‘Jenny’ fired right up and settled into a beautiful, deep but smooth idle (for a 4 banger).

94 530iT&A, ‘Helga’---92 325i, ‘Rolf’…….”Hang up & Drive!”.......no, SERiously. (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)

dave b
03-07-2005, 01:43 AM
You're right - it's the $600 question.

Mine was $500 + $100 for the guibo, which seemed logical to do at the same time. Good luck.

Well that is now the $60000 question (ok maybe $600) dunno.
I suppose if i pull him out of service immediately i may get away w/ a fly-w resurface.
And hope that the guibo on das schleppen lasts for a week of daily flogging.
Crap!!!
Ok as if that wasn’t enough, the OTHER rear door latch mechanism decided to stop working this morning on teh 3er.
Yup both rear doors are now kept closed w/ bungee cords.
And today would have been a perfect time to put the rice-car back into service. Xcept some s-mom had totaled it last fall. Ugh!!! You know ‘Jenny’ fired right up and settled into a beautiful, deep but smooth idle (for a 4 banger).

94 530iT&A, ‘Helga’---92 325i, ‘Rolf’…….”Hang up & Drive!”.......no, SERiously. (http://homepage.interaccess.com/%7Emotria/pablosgarage.html)

SlidingAlong
03-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Paul,

I have a stock 525i cluch + flywheel from my '92 525i (e.g., non-Vanos M50) that I no longer need... I pulled it from my car when I changed to a light flywheel + M5 cluch. It was in good condition when I pulled it. It should work for your e36.

Are you interested?

-jack

[QUOTE=paul p (chi-town)][color=indigo]My clutch is making these whining & scraping noises when i step on it. The whining is constant pretty much, but the scraping is intermittent.

SlidingAlong
03-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Oh - BTW - I live in the 60610 zipcode: downtown.

[QUOTE=SlidingAlong]Paul,

I have a stock 525i cluch + flywheel from my '92 525i (e.g., non-Vanos M50) that I no longer need... I pulled it from my car when I changed to a light flywheel + M5 cluch. It was in good condition when I pulled it. It should work for your e36.

Are you interested?

-jack

SlidingAlong
03-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Oh - BTW - I live in the 60610 zipcode: downtown.

Gooch
03-07-2005, 01:22 PM
I had my clutch kit changed (sachs) when I replaced the tranny at 100K miles. Was told that the dual mass flywheels can't be reground. Not sure why.