PDA

View Full Version : Aux water pump/ coolant hoses question?

Ted K
03-06-2005, 11:48 AM
I have had my 90 535im for about 7 months now. It has 145k on the clock. I have been going through it replacing things that need to be replaced. Here are a couple of questions for you.

1) What is an easy way to see if the Aux water pump is pumping?
2) What is an easy way to check all the hoses to se if they need to be replaced?

Dash01
03-06-2005, 01:41 PM
With cover off the aux pump and solenoid assy (engine running, cabin heat on), feel the pump for heat and vibration caused by pumping action.

You might want to just replace ALL the hoses now, at a time and place of your choice, and you'll have the old ones for spares to carry in the cubbyhole under the tire jack. Then, if the new ones crap out, you'll have a relatively sane roadside repair experience with your little screwdriver.

infinity5
03-06-2005, 02:21 PM
replace all the hoses now!! :) you can check their integrity by looking at the very ends of the hoses. check for crusted coolant, little coolant crystals, or coolant stains. if the fornt of the engine is leaking they'll be light blue splatters on the fan blade and belts. if they leak it'll be at the connections. go do them all. its soo cheap and it'll save you so much time. do the thermostat and coolant pump/gasket/housing if you have the money, that'll leak or break one day soon. i did most of my coolant system, ignored the pump, and now its leaking! arg. all that blue gold just draining away.......