PDA

View Full Version : Need catalytic help ASAP!

Jon K
03-05-2005, 09:12 PM
I am switching from OEM catalytic converters to a magnaflow 94008 2 in 2 out. Currently my o2 sensor sits on the top side of the catalytic converter but toward the frontal area. so my question is, the 94008 magnaflow doesn't look like it has a hole for an O2 sensor. So where should I have my mechanic put the O2 sensor? Pre cat? After cat? what gives?

What to do?

632 Regal
03-05-2005, 09:35 PM
id guess you should put it in the same general area. Maybe you should compare the innerds of a stocker in comparison the the aftermarket and try to place it in the same general area, if your onn an inch and its not in the correct spot you might have problems. Do your research before drilling away!.

winfred
03-05-2005, 09:42 PM
it needs to be pre cat and only reading one pipe won't hurt anything, i have the 02 mounted in one of the collectors of my e30s headers and it only reads 3 cylinders, just pick a safe spot where it's out of the way and weld in a 02 bung in one of the head pipes

Jon K
03-05-2005, 09:46 PM
it needs to be pre cat and only reading one pipe won't hurt anything, i have the 02 mounted in one of the collectors of my e30s headers and it only reads 3 cylinders, just pick a safe spot where it's out of the way and weld in a 02 bung in one of the head pipes

Winfred, theres no harm in putting it a foot in front of the cat then and in one tube? Also, wouldn't that mean i could run no cats and the car wouldn't even know?

winfred
03-05-2005, 09:54 PM
one tube and a foot forward would be fine, the only cars that care about the cat are obdII cars 96 and up with pre and post cat sensors

Winfred, theres no harm in putting it a foot in front of the cat then and in one tube? Also, wouldn't that mean i could run no cats and the car wouldn't even know?

Jon K
03-06-2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks winfred. i don't mean to question your knowledge but it seems everyone is telling me i need an x-pipe and to put the O2 sensor in that? This is un-needed right? I just want to clarify for final.

winfred
03-06-2005, 09:23 AM
i've yet to have a problem with my car (e30 with headers) or any of the other cars i've done, a x-pipe wouldn't hurt and the sensor would be seeing the whole engine

64 Pony
12-17-2007, 06:45 PM
i've yet to have a problem with my car (e30 with headers) or any of the other cars i've done, a x-pipe wouldn't hurt and the sensor would be seeing the whole engine

The purpose of the x-pipe is to balance the sound for dual exhausts (especially if the pipes are not close together).

Macv
12-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Yay thread revival! Welcome newcomer.

Jon K
12-18-2007, 02:32 AM
wow this was 2.5 years old. That's so funny.