PDA

View Full Version : What Does It Do?

all2kool
03-05-2005, 01:44 PM
On my 1992 525i, the turn signal arm has the letters "BC" and can be pushed in. What does this function do?

crashnburn80
03-05-2005, 01:54 PM
I think what your talking about will bring the onboard computers display up on the dot matrix display in your dash. So you can display anything the computer does there, such as your fuel economy, current temp, range till empty ect. Clicking it multiple times will cycle the display. What is not evident though is how to turn it back off once you turn it on. This annoyed me for a long time till I got a manual. To clear your indash display (because it won't automaticl go off till you turn off the car) you need to hit the 'code' button on your cars computer.

infinity5
03-05-2005, 02:28 PM
or you can just push the check control knob in the dash? thats what i do.

liquidtiger720
03-05-2005, 02:35 PM
or you can just push the check control knob in the dash? thats what i do.
thats is what i do too. Its the nob on the right side of the instrument cluster.

Elekta
03-05-2005, 02:39 PM
?? How does one set the blinker stalk to remain on (like benz & porche) for when you are parked on a narrow street and you don't want to get swiped...and have it stay on after you've locked the car ??

I was told I have this function on the Euro Touring, but all my stalks are in German.

I also can never figure out the proper way to set the intermittant wiper timing. I've tried it's "on-count to ten-off-on" but I can never tell if it's set or not.....

Paul in NZ
03-05-2005, 03:34 PM
How does one set the blinker stalk to remain on

All you do is push the stalk towards the side you want to be illuminated.You have to push it all the way to the stay on indicator position,one sront parking light (left for you I spose) and one rear tailight only come on.You dont have any other switches on

the proper way to set the intermittant wiper timing

I took a while to figure this out too!You start with the wipers in the off position,push once to the intermittent position and almost immediately turn em off again.You return to the intermitent position after the desired interval

or you can just push the check control knob in the dash

does that clear the dash obc display ????

ps Geoff where did you get your clears?

all2kool
03-05-2005, 04:20 PM
I think what your talking about will bring the onboard computers display up on the dot matrix display in your dash. So you can display anything the computer does there, such as your fuel economy, current temp, range till empty ect. Clicking it multiple times will cycle the display. What is not evident though is how to turn it back off once you turn it on. This annoyed me for a long time till I got a manual. To clear your indash display (because it won't automaticl go off till you turn off the car) you need to hit the 'code' button on your cars computer.

Perhaps this function is not working on my 525i as pushing in the lever does nothing at all - unless it only works while the car is in motion.

Javier
03-05-2005, 05:23 PM
There is a Yellow/Red wire from the stalk switch to pin 25 of the OBC that handles this function, may be it is loose or not ever connected,

Javier

Qsilver7
03-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Perhaps this function is not working on my 525i as pushing in the lever does nothing at all - unless it only works while the car is in motion.
...if you haven't programmed it...or if the previous owner programmed it but the car's power (battery) has been disconnected...the programming has been lost. You must have the full featured OBC to use this function. You also can choose any or all of the OBC info to display...personally I only programmed HR/DATE/AVG MPH 1/RANGE.

To program the BC functions, turn ignition to position 2, then:
1. push the turn stalk in towards the steering column and hold for apprx. 3-5 seconds until PROG 1 appears in the instrument cluster display.
2. press the desired (OBC) info button(s).
3. Press the S/R button on the OBC when finished

If you have an owners manual..this info is in there under REMOTE CONTROL. :D

Elekta
03-06-2005, 04:04 PM
ps Geoff where did you get your clears?

I got the fronts from bavarian autoparts. I made the rears myself because tourings have different buckets in the back than saloons. Only the Swedes (who have more tourings than gyad) went so far as to offer a clear kit.

Wasn't easy and you have to buy spares and cut out the ambers with a dremel tool and then glue in the clears. I smoked the inside ever so slightly with liquid tint by painting it in and then wiping it out with a paper towel (what remained was my tinting)

Have full procedure to link to to do it, but they start like this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/12c65971.jpg
Then this (see how white the reproglas clear is)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/DSCN0546.JPG
Final with bulb ends painted silver so you see no amber until it's lit.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/1ab9ee4e.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/cc9dcb52.jpg

all2kool
03-07-2005, 05:26 PM
...if you haven't programmed it...or if the previous owner programmed it but the car's power (battery) has been disconnected...the programming has been lost. You must have the full featured OBC to use this function. You also can choose any or all of the OBC info to display...personally I only programmed HR/DATE/AVG MPH 1/RANGE.

To program the BC functions, turn ignition to position 2, then:
1. push the turn stalk in towards the steering column and hold for apprx. 3-5 seconds until PROG 1 appears in the instrument cluster display.
2. press the desired (OBC) info button(s).
3. Press the S/R button on the OBC when finished

If you have an owners manual..this info is in there under REMOTE CONTROL. :D

Thanks. Tried this several times - PROG 1 never appears. Any other suggestions? FYI - the OBC works fine.

tdgard
03-07-2005, 06:30 PM
For the wipers try it this way:

In one motion press down for a single wipe & then go up to the INT position and return to off. Go back to the INT position after the desired time. You should notice a difference in interval although there is a max duration you can't seem to exceed.

I tried and tried the manual method and never made it work. This has become a natural motion now--although trying to explain it to the wife sux.

Alan_525i
03-07-2005, 07:49 PM
I believe the parking light on function only works if you have a euro LKM. Maybe even need other parts as well.