PDA

View Full Version : Who has Koni's on their E34?

pundit
03-05-2005, 05:50 AM
I was wondering who has Konis on their E34 and with which spring/wheel/tyre combination? I'm looking for a slightly lower 1 to 1.5" drop on my 535i. Of course the ride will be firmer than stock but I want to avoid anything bone jarring. The other option is a Sach kit which seems to be a popular choice around here. If fact does anyone have direct experience of an E34 Sach/Koni comparison - especially in terms of ride quality? - TIA

mholbrook
03-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Koni's are terrific but cost about $340 for fronts only and $525 or so for set of 4. You can adjust the fronts anytime but rears have to be removed to adjust. If you go this way, use Eibach Pro Kit for springs or H&R. No BavAuto for sure.

The Sachs kit is about $700 total from BMA and includes Eibach springs made special for Sachs. Could be the same or really close as we measured them against the ProKit once. The Sachs is fine and has a nice ride.

My preference is for Koni but that is just me. I ran mine about 1 turn from soft on the street and full hard on the track.

Mobius
03-05-2005, 05:08 PM
You can adjust the rears with them in the car, you just have to loosen the upper nuts and turn the shaft with an allen wrench (6mm, I think?).

At least, that's what I gather from the instructions - which made no goddamned sense. I'm probably wrong.

I have 18" wheels and I'm lowered on (shitty) Jamex springs - however the ride is now very very nice, and I really couldn't be happier.

cary
03-07-2005, 11:48 AM
I am running the Koni's with stock springs and wheels on my Wife's 525i. Koni really managed to get the valving correct on these. They offer the dampining control of Bilsteins without the ride harshness. If you run them with stock springs, I would recommend starting with the rears set out 1-2 clicks from full soft. This will help to eliminate some of the inherent understeer in the e34.

shragon
03-07-2005, 02:17 PM
koni with eibach here.