PDA

View Full Version : Sachs kit pictures.

liquidtiger720
03-05-2005, 05:20 AM
This is a set of before and afters. Mainly, this is for anybody thinking about buying a sachs kit and wanting to see how much it lowers the car. At the moment, the springs/shocks have only been on for about a week, so it may settle down a little more. I have about 2-2.5 finger widths in the front and 1 finger width in the rear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/liquidtiger720/Carb4_afterLarge.jpg
Whole car. Top is before, bottom is after
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/liquidtiger720/Wheelb4_afterLarge.jpg
Front tire. Left is before, Right is after.

pundit
03-05-2005, 05:31 AM
This is a set of before and afters. Mainly, this is for anybody thinking about buying a sachs kit and wanting to see how much it lowers the car. At the moment, the springs/shocks have only been on for about a week, so it may settle down a little more. I have about 2-2.5 finger widths in the front and 1 finger width in the rear...
Thanks for the comparison shots. It's always good to see the result before you spend your cash! :p

How does it compare with the original setup?
Is the ride noticeably harsher... would you say uncomfortable by comparison?
Of course the standard wheels and tyres will help the ride anyway.

I'm considering whether or not to go with the Sach kit or maybe Eibach's with Konis. I believe the Sach kit uses Boge (Gas pressure?) shocks with Eibach springs - is this correct? I was trying to find out more about Vogtland springs but they don't appear to be available in Australia. The local Koni distributor only lists the Koni Sports shocks (Yellow) for the E34. The standard Koni Reds don't appear to be available. They do a Koni suspension kit with the Koni Sports and Eibachs. I would really prefer to drive an E34 fitted with that combination before I make a descision - Cheers

adamsbomb
03-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the comparison shots. It's always good to see the result before you spend your cash! :p

How does it compare with the original setup?
Is the ride noticeably harsher... would you say uncomfortable by comparison?
Of course the standard wheels and tyres will help the ride anyway.

I'm considering whether or not to go with the Sach kit or maybe Eibach's with Konis. I believe the Sach kit uses Boge (Gas pressure?) shocks with Eibach springs - is this correct? I was trying to find out more about Vogtland springs but they don't appear to be available in Australia. The local Koni distributor only lists the Koni Sports shocks (Yellow) for the E34. The standard Koni Reds don't appear to be available. They do a Koni suspension kit with the Koni Sports and Eibachs. I would really prefer to drive an E34 fitted with that combination before I make a descision - Cheers
I think that is lowered just about right, not to low, but sitting on the wheel. I am going to do this same setup, but an unexpected bill reaked havoc on my fund for the minute. Now though, I have heard mixed things about the Boge struts. Oh well, looks great though!

liquidtiger720
03-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Pundit- Yes Boge shocks with eibach springs. The are supposed to be tuned for each other. The ride is harsher, but by no means harsh. On the freeway, the setup is smooth and comfortable...you feel some bumps, but it isnt jarring. In the city (mind you, San Francisco...pot hole/contruction heaven), it can get pretty rough, but slowing down helps a little (haha, you get to see the guy behind you get pissed off too). If I didn't have to drive around in the city all the time on a daily basis...I probably would have went koni Sport Adjustables with h/r or eibach springs. How the set up handles...I dont really know yet. I havent had the time to put it through any real twisties. I'm still trying to figure out why my car is pulling left.

adamsbomb- Yea. I think is just about perfect. I could probly wish for about .5 inches more...but hoepfully it will settle down a little in the future. I'm curious. What did you hear about the boge struts? I trusted them because they are the OEM manufacturer.

bahnstormer
03-05-2005, 02:15 PM
with those stock 15's the ride is buttery smooth compared to my
low profile 17's

don't complain and go pass people on the freeway ramps =]

liquidtiger720
03-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Haha. im defintely not complaining =). I love it really. I can't wait to upgrade my rims.

Incantation
03-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Nice

JAlfredPrufrock
03-06-2005, 03:44 AM
That is very nice.

How much and where, if you don't mind me asking?

pundit
03-06-2005, 06:43 AM
...Now though, I have heard mixed things about the Boge struts...
That's suprising. I haven't found too much criticism concerning Boges on the net. I guess it's what you expect from them. BMW obviously thought highly enough to fit them to their cars (OEM) Of course they have to market a vehicle on the basis of being both comfortable and sporting. Mine still rides nice and from what I've heard the Sach's kit is supposed to be a well tuned combo for an E34 with a good compromise between comfort & handling. Of course if you're going for all out handling, and aren't too concerned about the ride, then there are plenty of other options out there.

liquidtiger720
03-06-2005, 12:12 PM
That is very nice.

How much and where, if you don't mind me asking?

690 shipped from bma for shocks springs and some misc parts. (they just raised their price on it this year :( too)

Jon K
03-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Not enough drop for me. Considering you probably had 3 or so fingers worth of gap initially, you know have 2.5... thats like 1/2" lower in the front. I prefer the bilsterin sport w/ H&R sport.

Alan_525i
03-06-2005, 07:15 PM
I thought the car looked pretty darn low in the pics? The wheel gap doesnt look that slammed, but the car itself looks really good!!!

Nice job.

liquidtiger720
03-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks alan.

Yea, It's not much of a drop at all.

Incantation
03-07-2005, 01:09 AM
it does sit higher than mine.. but mine took a week or two to settle..

when you get some 18s it will fill out nicely, don't worry

pmlmotorsports
04-11-2005, 04:15 PM
I hear everyone raving about the Sachs kit. What I don't hear is anyone mentioning the fact that OE Boge Automatics replacements come w/ lifetime warranty, yet the Sachs kit only offers a 1 year warranty. That to me is not long enough, especially when you consider Bilstein, Koni, and Boge all come w/ lifetime warranties on their shocks and strut inserts. My personal set-up is Boge Automatics (OE) and Vogtland springs. 1.8" (45mm) front and .8" (20mm) rear, and they will replace any component of this set-up that fails or breaks free of charge as long as I own the car. I just pick-up the phone and fax a copy of my invoice to Boge or Vogtland and voila', the replacements appear at my door step in 48 hrs. The ride is firm, not harsh. I've tried H&R, Eibach, BavAuto, and Racing Dynamics as well, and the Vogtlands are right in between the Racing Dynamics and the Eibachs in firmness. The H&R spring is very firm, slightly softer is Eibach, Vogtland is even softer, and finally Racing Dynamics is the closest to stock. The BavAuto springs are pure trash. Hope this helps.