PDA

View Full Version : nikasil debate in my mind HELP

adamsbomb
03-04-2005, 08:54 PM
I am looking at a car local to me here. The car has 160k on it (540 obviously), it shows that the car was man in late 93 (94 model), the block was replaced in late 95 or 96, they believe with another nikasil block (I haven't had a chance to check the numbers but the guy seems knowledgeable). Would you guys run from this car. It actually looks incredible, new struts, eibach springs, lemforgder arms with 750 busings done a year ago. I can pick up the car for around 4000.00. Oh yeah, it needs some power steering work and a guibo I guess. What do you all think??

digitaldragon03
03-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Nikasil problems would have occured way earlier in the cars life. If its made it through 160k miles, im sure it will have no nikasil problems. 4000 is a steal for a 540, i say take it.

adamsbomb
03-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Thats what I was thinking, the motor was replaced around 95 or 96, according to the owner before this guy the block has a casting date of 95. So even if the car had 40k miles when it was replaced, the block would have 120 on it now. So it should be okay right. Worst case, if I had to replace the entire ps system, any idea's on what that would cost. I figure if I get it for 4k, spend around 2 on junk repairs at most. Even if the tranny goes, the place that did my 525 for 1600 said they would do the tranny in this one for around 2k (they are a wholesaler). OH yeah, plus she is sitting on M5 rims already

Paul in NZ
03-04-2005, 11:30 PM
man that is a steal,you get a lot of car for your money.If the car has been in the same geographical arrea all its like the theory that its safe now may be valid but if o why did the nik block need replacing in the first place..it MIGHt still happen and the V* has some other weaknesses,still once you have driven one i guess its a wilful man who will walk away.......

adamsbomb
03-05-2005, 12:17 AM
man that is a steal,you get a lot of car for your money.If the car has been in the same geographical arrea all its like the theory that its safe now may be valid but if o why did the nik block need replacing in the first place..it MIGHt still happen and the V* has some other weaknesses,still once you have driven one i guess its a wilful man who will walk away.......

Yeah, the car spent most of its time between tucson and phx on the highway. I figure either the motor had high miles in the two years before it got swapped in which case it would have lower miles now (motor wise) or it had lower miles and then it is and is well past the 100k mark. I do know the owner prior to this says the car idled very smoothly when he sold it a few months ago, plus he said he spent a lot of money fixing small things. Of course she still could blow the day after I get her lol. The guy will be back on monday, I will get the vin and call BMW and see if they can tell me how many miles were on it when it was changed out.

Beez540
03-05-2005, 12:27 AM
I am looking at a car local to me here. The car has 160k on it (540 obviously), it shows that the car was man in late 93 (94 model), the block was replaced in late 95 or 96, they believe with another nikasil block (I haven't had a chance to check the numbers but the guy seems knowledgeable). Would you guys run from this car. It actually looks incredible, new struts, eibach springs, lemforgder arms with 750 busings done a year ago. I can pick up the car for around 4000.00. Oh yeah, it needs some power steering work and a guibo I guess. What do you all think??

I just bought a 94 540 that had the engine replaced on the recall. Replaced with an alusil. If the car you're looking at has indeed had the engine replaced I wouldn't think they'd put in another nikasil block. It's easy to tell though, look under the engine bay ( I can't remember if the best angle is from just in front of the passenger tire, or just behind it...), but just past the header you can see most of the ID # stamped on the block. Or take it to a buddy with a lift. This page has the ID#s and breakdown: http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/v8shortblock.htm But like some other said, if it's not smoking, burning, and it pulls well... you won't run into problems with the bore lining. There's hardly any sulphur in gas anymore.

I gave $3900 for my 540 and it had 227k on everything but the engine (135k). I had to replace thrust arm bushings, thermo housing & hoses (flush&fill), a window regulator, and I'm working on the paint & leather. It's a solid car overall and I feel like I got a good deal. If you can score that thing for 4k... DO IT! ;)

adamsbomb
03-05-2005, 02:01 AM
I just bought a 94 540 that had the engine replaced on the recall. Replaced with an alusil. If the car you're looking at has indeed had the engine replaced I wouldn't think they'd put in another nikasil block. It's easy to tell though, look under the engine bay ( I can't remember if the best angle is from just in front of the passenger tire, or just behind it...), but just past the header you can see most of the ID # stamped on the block. Or take it to a buddy with a lift. This page has the ID#s and breakdown: http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/v8shortblock.htm But like some other said, if it's not smoking, burning, and it pulls well... you won't run into problems with the bore lining. There's hardly any sulphur in gas anymore.

I gave $3900 for my 540 and it had 227k on everything but the engine (135k). I had to replace thrust arm bushings, thermo housing & hoses (flush&fill), a window regulator, and I'm working on the paint & leather. It's a solid car overall and I feel like I got a good deal. If you can score that thing for 4k... DO IT! ;)

Yeah, I have the block numbers stored on my comp, seen all the info, in the very early stages of the problem the replaced the blocks with other nikasil blocks just to keep em on the road. Will check the numbers when I see it in person. Keep ya all posted, consensus is go for it if it is idling smooth, pulling strong and no smoke then I am on it!!

DueyT
03-05-2005, 08:28 AM
I'd go for it, especially given all the new components you mentioned, Adam. You would probably have more issues with the auto tranny (as a few guys semm to have) than the motor.

Do you have any pics?

Cheers,
Duey

adamsbomb
03-05-2005, 10:49 AM
I'd go for it, especially given all the new components you mentioned, Adam. You would probably have more issues with the auto tranny (as a few guys semm to have) than the motor.

Do you have any pics?

Cheers,
Duey

Yeah, the tranny is inevitable, so I will budget that in. Will post some pics when I get back (going to get new front tires on the M-technic right now). Great lookin car Duey, sssshhhhhhheeeeeettttt.

adamsbomb
03-05-2005, 11:29 AM

Do you have any pics?

Cheers,
Duey

Yeah, the tranny is inevitable, so I will budget that in. Will post some pics when I get back (going to get new front tires on the M-technic right now).