PDA

View Full Version : U might find this interesting

Ali
03-04-2005, 11:52 AM
I may be opening up a can of worms here but.... here it is anyway.

I'm an ex-Merc owner ('87 280SE, '88 230CE, '91 300E, '90 230E,) and had been one for a good part of my life (5 years), but there seems to be a negative impression in the minds of all kinds of vehicle owners (Toyota, Honda, Merc and even Porsche) for obvious reasons other than those driving a bimmer, about BMW drivers /owners ranging from impolite to road maniacs I'm sure most if not all of u know about and I admit I knew it before I bought my manual '93 525i about 5 weeks ago but I have always wanted to know what these cars behave (cost of ownership, maintenance, and BMW motto "Ultimate Driving Machine") like on a longer term than a hired car.

Well to check this I posted a link in a new thread about the E34 M5 v/s W124 500E in the Merc forum I still (5 years is a long time for some people) often frequent, just to see the members reaction the link is for a clip showing the M5 beating the 500E impressively (even though I admit the Merc driver was a bit inexperienced and it shows) but the reaction of most of the guys there was..., well see for yourself, why does every guy on the road seem to think all BMW drivers are always suffering from acute road rage or a serious attitude problem, here is an example

cap'n Jasper
BenzWorld Member
Vehicle: E320 Coupe, 1994

RE: Tell me this is not true, M5 v/s 500E

The M5 is probably quicker but I can't drive one because I don't own a baseball cap or lots of 'bling'
Give me the 500E any day.

Here is a link to that thread tell me what u all think.
Check this out (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1201757&posts=20&fid=11)

Ali

Jon K
03-04-2005, 01:18 PM
I may be opening up a can of worms here but.... here it is anyway.

I'm an ex-Merc owner ('87 280SE, '88 230CE, '91 300E, '90 230E,) and had been one for a good part of my life (5 years), but there seems to be a negative impression in the minds of all kinds of vehicle owners (Toyota, Honda, Merc and even Porsche) for obvious reasons other than those driving a bimmer, about BMW drivers /owners ranging from impolite to road maniacs I'm sure most if not all of u know about and I admit I knew it before I bought my manual '93 525i about 5 weeks ago but I have always wanted to know what these cars behave (cost of ownership, maintenance, and BMW motto "Ultimate Driving Machine") like on a longer term than a hired car.

Well to check this I posted a link in a new thread about the E34 M5 v/s W124 500E in the Merc forum I still (5 years is a long time for some people) often frequent, just to see the members reaction the link is for a clip showing the M5 beating the 500E impressively (even though I admit the Merc driver was a bit inexperienced and it shows) but the reaction of most of the guys there was..., well see for yourself, why does every guy on the road seem to think all BMW drivers are always suffering from acute road rage or a serious attitude problem, here is an example

cap'n Jasper
BenzWorld Member
Vehicle: E320 Coupe, 1994

RE: Tell me this is not true, M5 v/s 500E

The M5 is probably quicker but I can't drive one because I don't own a baseball cap or lots of 'bling'
Give me the 500E any day.

Here is a link to that thread tell me what u all think.
Check this out (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1201757&posts=20&fid=11)

Ali

They're just confused. They see us plow through a turn at 3x their speed and acuse us of being aggressive... when in fact, it's because our cars can do it and theirs can't. The end. :D

Tcdoe
03-04-2005, 01:25 PM
I agree, BMW drivers have a bad reputation where I live too. And certain people seem to take pride in being an *sshole in a BMW. :( They're shallow people who only buy bimmers to get laid.

I bought my BMW because I like the design (I've wanted one since it came out), I love the engine, the interior, the ride, the feeling of quality. Me and my friends often joke that we're the only BMW drivers here that use our turn signals and (mostly) drive at legal speeds. :)

As to which one is faster, M5 or 500E.. Who cares, they're both great cars and I'd love to own either one of them.

bjl4776
03-04-2005, 01:57 PM
There is also a big difference between powerful cars, and sports cars. I mean you can take a stock car from the late sixties and run a quarter-mile that would take a heavily modified BMW to run, but you bring an M3 to a track and it will be able to run circles around most other production cars. Thats why it is rediculous with some of the cars coming out now, like the 425hp 300 srt-8, or the new SL65 AMG, It must be nice to be able to stomp down 700ft/lb of torque in a straight line, but we are BMW owners, we like to brake into corners and power out of them as fast as our cars will let us, much more fun than straight lines.

Ali
03-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Guys,

I did not put that link of the "M5 v/s 500E" on the Merc forum to see which is faster I don't care about that, what I do care about is this reputation of BMW driver's (don't give a damn) attitiudes whether it's earned or tagged, I wanted to see the members reactions when I mention Bimmers, I know for sure if I gave a similar link for let's say a Audi TT v/s 500E there would be more people speaking favourably about the other (non-Merc) car.

No Jon K it's mostly not (maybe some cases but not all) because their cars can't do this or that, cause I've heard the same from at least one Porsche 911 Turbo driver who could probably beat my '93 E34 using only his vehicle's reverse gear, if I'm right and the bad name has been earned, but why just Bimmers and not any other car.

Robin-535im
03-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Yuppies in the 80's who bought 3-series'.

That's where it comes from. Look at any movie from the 1980s and the rich snob will be driving an E30 325. That stuff sits in your subconscious and makes you interpret all BMW drivers as rich and snobby.

Which is ridiculous, because I for one am not rich.

Now if only more people watched Spencer for Hire, all the 6-series drivers would be considered tough guys who could kick your butt for looking at them wrong.

Robin-535im
03-04-2005, 03:28 PM
They're shallow people who only buy bimmers to get laid.

Hold on just a minute! I've been missing out on this effect all these years?!?! I thought those women were just kidding about the freebies... I can be shallow - really! Just give me a chance!

:) :)

callen
03-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Ali...we don't care what Benz owners say.....or feel....we love our cars as they do theirs....silly thread.

Paul in NZ
03-04-2005, 04:34 PM
you dont ask someone who likes mercs,about BMWs by showing their car being beaten by our car...you will almost certainly get negative reaction!.As for the reputation of BMW owners who cares..I drive my beamer like every car i have ever owned,i indicate, i pull over if someone comes up behind me(I admit i am ussually in the fast lane)I let people in the queue(but only one),in short like most other people...there are idiots and road hogs in all makes,our bimmers are just identifiable,ie to most people e30s.e 34,e 32,e36,e39,e38,prolly all look very similar if not the same,prolly the trongest family resemblance through the 80s and 90,s of ALL manufacturers!

Kalevera
03-04-2005, 05:13 PM
True!!!

Marshy
03-04-2005, 05:36 PM
It's the same in the UK, but the rich snobby image doesn't persist and hasn't for some time. It's a very negative thing that some people have for BMW drivers.

And, thing is, there are some real idiots out there in BMWs. No more so, though, than any other brand of car.

Bad thing in the UK is that the 3 series in prime pimp-my-ride material over here now. Boy do people do some nasty things to their cars (and then drive like idiots :) )