PDA

View Full Version : Radio Screw Size - Bentley Disappointment

BlackOnBlack
03-04-2005, 09:58 AM
What is the proper screw type and size to remove the radio. I've searched posts and help pages but none specify the type and size. I just purchased a Bentley for my '92 525im that I got in January but it doesn't state the type or size of the screw.
Can anyone help?
Steve

BrianH
03-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi Steve,
It takes a hex key to get the radio out, but my hex screws were too rounded off. Instead, I used a small flat-bladed precision screwdriver. It fit inside the hex head good enough to get the screws loose. You might try that.

Bill R.
03-04-2005, 01:11 PM
bmw uses requires a tool with 5 sides , its a pentagon not a hexagon, some people use a allen wrench or hex key but each time you do that you take a chance on rounding it off and then really having a hard time. The bmw radio tools show up on ebay all the time and some people sell reground allen keys precisely ground to fit the five sided screw.

Hi Steve,
It takes a hex key to get the radio out, but my hex screws were too rounded off. Instead, I used a small flat-bladed precision screwdriver. It fit inside the hex head good enough to get the screws loose. You might try that.

Kalevera
03-04-2005, 01:38 PM
I have a set of small allen/hex keys - 1,1.5,2 - that I used. I managed to get mine out with, I think, the 2mm.

Best, whit

winfred
03-04-2005, 08:23 PM
ditto, and it's real soft brass so it don't take much

bmw uses requires a tool with 5 sides , its a pentagon not a hexagon, some people use a allen wrench or hex key but each time you do that you take a chance on rounding it off and then really having a hard time. The bmw radio tools show up on ebay all the time and some people sell reground allen keys precisely ground to fit the five sided screw.

BlackOnBlack
03-04-2005, 09:10 PM
I had started with a 2mm allen wrench and changed to a flat blade screwdriver but I fear that I may have started to strip them. I think I'll just buy one of the BMW tools...safer that way.
All I'm trying to do is replace 1 bulb in the radio and 2 in the OBC.

Steve

Javier
03-04-2005, 09:15 PM

Karl
03-04-2005, 10:03 PM
ditto, and it's real soft brass so it don't take much

...the screws don't unscrew all the way. They push out little wedge blocks to hold the radio. Just back them off enough to loosen the radio. If you try to unscrew them all the way you break them. AMHIK

winfred
03-04-2005, 10:31 PM

Javier
03-05-2005, 09:10 AM
to change. My Babarian C professional RDS has no bulbs but 3 mm orange LED's. A very particular type, flat top, brilliant orange. I have never found them and used some similar orange units, but they light a little bit reddish.

Would like to know if his model is like mine, and found the original LED's.

Javier

BlackOnBlack
03-05-2005, 10:40 AM
It's an Alpine cd unit in the rear so I guess it's an Alpine radio (?).
Not sure of the OBC type. I've just seen pictures of the bulbs on the help pages Like Gale's page. http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_36.htm. Actually, I guess I didn't read closely enough last time. He pretty much explains it all.
Steve

Javier
03-05-2005, 10:53 AM
will you find in your radio.

Wish you good luck. If orange LED's and you find exact replacements, please post a picture and let me know.

Javier

AngryPopTart
06-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Any information on replacing those little, brass fasteners? I noticed they were starting to go the last time I had the radio out (I took it out and put it in more times than I can remember when I disassembled the whole thing to fix the knob, and kept trying to get the tape-player to work to no avail) and they will probably only handle one more go. I'd rather just replace them with something that does not require a one-off tool.

Ross
06-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Years ago I reground an allen key to fit but have since lost it and been using a flat blade jewelers screwdriver. The screws usually aren't too tight and this has been working for me.