PDA

View Full Version : Suspension down under

spider55
03-04-2005, 09:43 AM
1991 525i ;)
First of all thanks for an awsum forum, the headlite module fix was brilliant.

Now to my next problem, have been suffering from shaking steering, when hitting bumps with the left front tyre. Had car in for new front tyres, balance, wheel alignment and a suspension check and was told all was OK with ball joints and so on. The only thing found was a leaking strut (shocker) would this cause the wheel to shake after hitting minor bumps in the road.

Have been reading all the posts i can find on suspension choices would like to purchace a full kit. She just doesn't ride like she use to. Any recomendations for suppliers in Australia.

Also maybe this can help others.

I had a intermitant fuse blowing, this was for the electric mirrors and reverse lights. Found some worn wires inside a small loom next to the right bonnet hinge they head up inside the bonnet.

Regards Phil.
P.S. pround to be able to be part of this great forum

BigKriss
03-04-2005, 10:45 AM
don't bother buying from the reatailers or the $tealers here. Get you parts directly imported from the USA is the way to go.

For example, from a stealer down under your looking at: aus$
- front springs 490 - pair
- rear springs 620 - pair
- front shock 910 - pair
- rear shock 650 - pair

= For those four parts = $2670. These are boge shocks and stock springs.

www.shox.com is where i got my front shocks and springs. They sell a koni and h&r kit for us$755 or aus$950. ask the guys on the forum. the h&r springs are lowered and are stiffer than stock, but make the car handle a lot better. the koni shocks are adjustable and are often regarded as the best. I love this setup - it completely changed the handling of the car.

Going from the top of my head a while back, down under from a retailer your looking at from kmac, sydney
- koni's shocks at about
- front $800 - per pair
- rear $750 - per pair
and the bilsteins are $50 more per shock. Then you need to pay for shipping about us$250 usps fastest or a third of that 250/3 for the cheapest shipping 4 - 6 weeks.

Alternatively, get all parts from bma autoparts. http://www.bmaautoparts.com/

Contact Patrick at Patrick@bmaparts.com. You will be amazed at his e-mail response times. He will be able to very promptly help you will all your e34 needs.

bma auto parts sell the sachs kit, which has springs and shocks which other board members highly recommend, while your there you can get the other suspension components that have probably never been looked at before at around half the cost of what the dealer will charge you.

However labour is a different story. This is just the part prices I'm considering.

I hope this helps

Regards

Kristian

crashnburn80
03-04-2005, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=Now to my next problem, have been suffering from shaking steering, when hitting bumps with the left front tyre. The only thing found was a leaking strut (shocker) would this cause the wheel to shake after hitting minor bumps in the road. [/QUOTE]

Actually I had that exact problem, except it was my right front tire and when I hit a bump the steering would shake. Really annoying. It turned out that stut was leaking. I just got new suspenion in and the problem is gone. ;)

spider55
03-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Kristian,
Thank's for your advice i think i will go with importing the componets.
Now some research, what set up to use?

crashnburn80, so the mechanic was right, i suppose i should of trusted him.