PDA

View Full Version : Idle Vibes - Engine Mounts?

Triv
03-04-2005, 05:01 AM
I have a 1992 520i (M50), runs smooth when not idling and I have no excessive engine movement, from what I can see but I get a fair amount of vibration when idling. Is it worth renewing the engine mounts? Has anyone done this and noticed any significant improvement?

Interceptor
03-04-2005, 05:21 AM
I have a 1992 520i (M50), runs smooth when not idling and I have no excessive engine movement, from what I can see but I get a fair amount of vibration when idling. Is it worth renewing the engine mounts? Has anyone done this and noticed any significant improvement?
I had the same problem - when I cleaned the injectors and changed spark plugs the idle was much smoother (EAT chip helped, too).

shogun
03-04-2005, 08:48 AM
I changed my engine and trans mounts some months ago and there is no more vibration in idle and also the shifting seems to be smoother (can also be my imagination).
At the same time however I started to use also STP gas treatment and water remover to clean the valves etc.
So maybe all worked together. But in any case the change of the mounts helped. But they are oil filled, so you can usually see when they are leaking. There will be some 'mist' of oil on the outside.
It is a bit harder to do the job on my V12 engine, so it should be no problem for you to do it.
But in any case, as Interceptor said already, all other parameters must be checked before hand.