PDA

View Full Version : Clarion head units and the factory amplifier

Kalevera
03-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Guys:

Earlier today, I got around to installing my new (to me) Clarion DXZ815MP head unit.

I had to cut and splice most of the old, nonstandard wiring harness (see bottom two pics on Bruno's: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Upgrade/Stereo_radio.htm). Wiring everything together was routine.

The clarion HU has a 15 amp and a 3 amp fuse on the memory and "bus" leads, respectively, that both went to the OE non-switched memory lead. I connected the "power antenna" lead to the same for the Clarion's head unit. All speaker grounds from the new HU were routed to the OEM head unit's two wire ground (the thing that has a large, gray post connected to it).

Put everything together and powered it up to test before setting the HU in the universal mounting bracket.

Powers up fine, radio works fine through all channels (although the wiring on Bruno's site is reversed on my car, or in the head unit, for the front speakers - yellow is left and blue is right).

Popped multiple CD and MP3 CD's in. The unit reads and plays them, with no sound coming out of the speakers, unless I jack the volume up, then it's very very very faint and crackled, not even audible.

I've read up on the forum, found a few threads that suggest that the AMPLIFIER ON is connected to the "power antenna" lead:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?postid=8463&highlight=amplifier#post8463

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?postid=29584&highlight=amplifier#post29584

I suspect that the HU is turning off the antenna when the CD mode is activated. Thus, the amplifier is also getting turned off, and no sound at the speakers results.

Question then is, what do I connect the power antenna (white) lead from the CAR to? Ignition/switched so that it's always on when the car is turned on?

Best, Whit

632 Regal
03-02-2005, 10:49 PM
umm...wow....try it?

just kidding, no clue thats why Im stickin with the stocker.

I read that the antenna is the amp switch but couldnt guarantee it.

Kalevera
03-03-2005, 12:14 AM
...and I feel like an idiot: after studying the HU wiring diagrams, I realized that there's a dedicated "amplifier on" lead. Connected it up and everything works great.

...now to change those distorting speakers...

Best, whit

Jon K
03-03-2005, 09:45 AM
...and I feel like an idiot: after studying the HU wiring diagrams, I realized that there's a dedicated "amplifier on" lead. Connected it up and everything works great.

...now to change those distorting speakers...

Best, whit

Don't feel stupid back when i had my Alpine CDA-7998 I did the same exact thing, FM would work but when the CD was in (the headunit turned off the power antenna, which was hooked to amp turn on) there would be no sound! Its actually in the FAQ on Alpines site

Kalevera
03-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Haha...I'm just happy that I got this thing installed...last time I ****ed with a stereo (on my toyota), I did about $200 worth of electrical damage.