PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to check oil level?

western99
03-02-2005, 03:34 PM
What is the proper way to check the oil level? Should I check the oil level in the morning when the car has been sitting all night and hope that the oil is level with the oil level limit on the dipstick, or should I run the car for a couple of minutes and check the level then. Doing one or the other will provide 2 very different results. What is the best way?

Brian

BradHouser
03-02-2005, 03:51 PM
What is the proper way to check the oil level? Should I check the oil level in the morning when the car has been sitting all night and hope that the oil is level with the oil level limit on the dipstick, or should I run the car for a couple of minutes and check the level then. Doing one or the other will provide 2 very different results. What is the best way?

Brian
I could be wrong, but my experience is with most cars, cold or warm doesn't matter. You should check with the car on level ground. If the engine has been running, turn it off and let it sit a few minutes so the oil can drain out of all the "twisty little passages all alike". That way you won't get a reading that is too low.

Brad

Bill R.
03-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Pull the dipstick, wipe it off and then check it before starting and running it.

Brian