PDA

View Full Version : A/C Compressor

jj7
03-02-2005, 08:44 AM
This ratteling noise in the front of the engine had me confused for some time, i thought it was a lifter making a ticking sound,till yesterday while aligning the wheels i went under the car to check that noise,i turned the A/C on and there it was.I read somewhere that the tensioner could make such noise and the clutch bearing also can contribute,i never carried out such fix, but my question is that can the bearings be serviced and replaced? or its the whole compressor should be replaced in such case?

I think,the tenssion of the belting is not as it should be,and as a wild guess it is affecting the alternator in a way the idle of the car is lower than it should be (correct me if i am wrong).

TIA
jj

philbyil
03-02-2005, 09:04 AM
and it looks like a miniature shock absorber and it normally sounds like a bunch of bolts rattling in glass jar.

This is an easy job and I do recommend buying a new belt at the same time...

Mr. BILL
03-02-2005, 09:06 AM
The noise you hear is probably caused by one of two things. It could be the pulley/tenioner you mentioned OR the A/C compressor is going bad. There are several reed valves in the compressor that break loose and rattle around.

The way to tell which one it is, is shut off the A/C. If the sound goes away with the compressor off, it's the compressor. If it still makes noise, it's most likely the pulley/tensioner. Either should be repalced soon.