PDA

View Full Version : car pulling...even after alignment.

liquidtiger720
03-01-2005, 09:34 PM
So today I took my car in for an alignment because I just changed a whole bunch of stuff. Anyways. they said, on paper...the car is "driving straight" but the car is still pulling to the left. They told me to try rotating the tires to see if it would fix it.
~ I just rotated my tires 3 days ago. The out edges of the fronts were worn down quite a bit...so could that be what is causing my car to pull to the left?

winfred
03-01-2005, 09:56 PM
low air pressure on one side can make it pull too

Dave535Phoenix
03-01-2005, 11:13 PM
When I drove my car back home 12 hours just after buying it, it was pulling pretty bad. After a set of new tires, it drove perfectly straight with no other changes.

If the tires are to blame nothing else will fix it. Live with it until you get new tires; if it still pulls after that, then look around.

granit_silber
03-01-2005, 11:13 PM
So today I took my car in for an alignment because I just changed a whole bunch of stuff. Anyways. they said, on paper...the car is "driving straight" but the car is still pulling to the left. They told me to try rotating the tires to see if it would fix it.
~ I just rotated my tires 3 days ago. The out edges of the fronts were worn down quite a bit...so could that be what is causing my car to pull to the left?

I was reading in a magazine the other day that a guy had a mysterious pull to the left. It was consistent, but no always present. after an alignment, new tires, and other suspension work he found that the problem was the sub-frame bushings. They had worn and were allowing the car to rest in a way that threw off the path of travel. I would definitely check whatever Winifred says first, just thought I'd pass along what I read.
-ashley

632 Regal
03-01-2005, 11:25 PM
tires wear funny, try rotating them from front to back and then side to side, once they wear in you will have problems keeping the car straight even after a good alignment!

liquidtiger720
03-01-2005, 11:57 PM
definetly my tires than. I had problems with my outer edge on the fronts before I changed my suspension. The edges look quite a bit more worn than everything else.

~How can you test/see if the subframe bushings are shot? I'm about to stick in some of bruno's plates...so maybe that may even help.

jj7
03-02-2005, 02:55 AM

Just curious,for how long you have noticed this behavior? it could be many things to look into;springs,brake,bushings.My car is doing that since ever, and i am clueless about it, one thing the alignment dude was saying the rear left trailing arm possibly was hit hard and its causing the car to pull to one side.Just yesterday i changed the rear shocks,it was slightly better but still pulls....

Bellicose Right Winger
03-02-2005, 06:03 AM
After checking tire pressure per Winfred, I'd swap the front tires right to left, car should now pull to right if it's a tire problem. If no change then look closely at alignment report for different right/left side camber. Car will pull to side with the least camber. Any evidence of a sticking brake caliper? Reach thru wheel to lightly touch hat section of front rotors after a drive. Temps should be similar.

Paul Shovestul

liquidtiger720
03-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Just curious,for how long you have noticed this behavior? it could be many things to look into;springs,brake,bushings.My car is doing that since ever, and i am clueless about it, one thing the alignment dude was saying the rear left trailing arm possibly was hit hard and its causing the car to pull to one side.Just yesterday i changed the rear shocks,it was slightly better but still pulls....

the actual pulling...since jan 26th. the wear pattern on the front. For awhile. I let the front go un aligned for awihle. because I knew I was changing my suspension and was being cheap. I am going to try rotating tires around and check the air pressure before I dive in deeper. Thank you for everybodies help!

liquidtiger720
03-05-2005, 01:26 PM
After checking tire pressure per Winfred, I'd swap the front tires right to left, car should now pull to right if it's a tire problem. If no change then look closely at alignment report for different right/left side camber. Car will pull to side with the least camber. Any evidence of a sticking brake caliper? Reach thru wheel to lightly touch hat section of front rotors after a drive. Temps should be similar.

Paul Shovestul
Alignment reports are as followed:

LF
Camber -.5
Caster7.1
Toe .16
RF
Camber -.9
Caster 7.5
Toe .15
Total toe .31
steer ahead .01

LR
Camber -1.5
Toe .12
RR
Camber -1.3
Toe .22
Total toe .34
steer ahead -.05

After checking air pressure, it seems to have helpd a tiny bit, but there is still a noticeable pull. Would not putting weights in the car while aligning cause the car to pull?
~should I have the tires with more tread in the front or back?