PDA

View Full Version : turbo oil return,

crunchy
02-28-2005, 06:05 AM
before i start putting holes in anything were abouts is everyone doing this, the sump or block. better still if annyones got a pic that would be great.

niall
02-28-2005, 08:44 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/225000-225999/225484_12_full.jpg here is a pic of a stock 745i turbo engine if its any help to your conversion

niall
02-28-2005, 08:48 AM
this pic shows the oil pipes.http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/225000-225999/225484_42_full.jpg

Craig
02-28-2005, 11:54 AM
I put mine in the oil pan. If I screwed it up, it's easier to replace than the block. :)

Unfortunately it leaks somewhat right now, I need to get some RTV on it or something. It's not massive, but it's enough that I don't want to let it go for much longer.

http://www.535i.net/random/BMW/turbo/TCD_kit/oil-drain.JPG

Jose
02-28-2005, 12:12 PM
On the E28 turbo conversion I made last week, I used a powersteering pump for the oil cooling for the turbo.I hooked it up to the engine instead of the aircom pump. To be sure the pressure was high enough, I had the pully replaced by a very small one(70mm) so it would pump a lot faster. I used a dry sump tank of 2 litres and a 19 row oilcooler to complete it all up.Now the turbo has it's own "dry sump"coolin/lubrication system. I use 0/w30 castrol oil for the lubrication. For now this systems is working and it should work a lot better than oil from the engine, as it has more presure and better cooiling. Next week I will install a temp sensor for the out-ingoing oil from/to the turbo.
Ain't it fun turbo-ing?!

Craig
02-28-2005, 12:16 PM
Turbos don't really need all that much oil pressure to function. In fact, too much can cause some issues with the bearings. I like your idea though, but wonder if there is enough thermal mass in only 2 liters of oil. It will be interesting to see your temp numbers.

Jose
02-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Craig,

That's just what I'm wondering about too. The temp nr's will give the final conclusion , but if it's not enough oil, a new canister is not the biggest job to replace. As for the bearing, the Gt38 uses ballbearings so they are almost"unbreakable "....I'll try to keep you posted.

Craig
02-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Yeah, let me know. I like the idea.

Jon K
02-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah, let me know. I like the idea.

I want to make a seperate oil system for the supercharger i am planning to install. Some kits (like AA's) don't have a fluid pump. Does a supercharger create pressure or vacuum in its oil system?

crunchy
03-03-2005, 04:11 AM
sorry for the late reply, another way for a oil feed and scavange pump is to use a pump of a L series nissan and make a small pulley and mounting bracket. their cheap and external adjustment for presure. since im doing a right hand drive car im going to make a pattern and cast an exhaust manifold to take a t3 style flange which allows for a pick off garrett or kkk and ihi turbos.

Jose
03-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Craig,

Fitted the temperature gauges to the in/outgoing oil lines to the turbo oilcooler.The first reading under hard driving showed outgoing approx 130 C and incomming from the cooler 108 C. The figures are a bit false as it's currently freezing outhere so the cooling is bit higher than in the summertime. The 2L cannister will be replaced this weeken by one mounted in the trunk of 3.5 litres. This should keep verything lubbed even in mid summer. Next week the E28 will be put to the test on the rolling road....

Craig
03-03-2005, 06:15 PM
108* C isn't bad at all. Sounds like you have a pretty good system going there. Any way to filter the oil?

Jose
03-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Yep, I picked up the cannister at a local rally parts shop which has the cannister custom made with a build in replaceble oil filter. Much the same as on the Hydraulic brake systems which use a similiar cannister with build in filter.

Jose
03-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Rolling road results of the E28 turbo last friday were ballistic to say at least, especially considering the crank came out of the cilinderblock to say Hi when the revs were build up to 6500 rpm !!!!This due to the car being lowered in Germany last week and my friend didn' t notice the metall door stop when entering the rolling rood space which resulted in a torn oilpan. No readin so far.

Saturday I sold my almost finished engine to my friend which with the use of forged piston and shorter conecction rods was to be able to obtain a compression rate of 8,2:1 according to our supplier.

Sunday, again the rolling road test but this time with much more care and the results were more than we bargained for.342 bhp at 5900 rpm and 534 nm torque. Next is the brake system which will be uprated with a Tarox conversion kit with 6 pot callipers front and 4 pots in the back. It' s amaizing how much money a reall nut is capable of spending on only one car. The only comfort is that it' sa BMW.