GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Mirror always dipped

Default Mirror always dipped

It's been a while since I've posted, but I've been lurking around from time to time. Recently my sideview mirror on the passenger side is always dipped even when not in reverse. I'm able to bypass this by flipping the switch on the mirror control to the other side(disabling the dipping feature). So its clear the mechanism is functional, but some wire has likely broken loose somewhere. If that's the case, it could involve an extensive search. Aside from checking at the mirror, where else should I look? Where does the circuit for the mirror complete?

Also of note, my car was an auto, but a PO did the manual conversion. At some point whatever detects 'reverse' and initiates the mirror dip mechanism had to be altered to work with the manual transmission. I'm not just sure where that would be.
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

Souds like an error was made by the swapper when disabling the "trans program" message. I think there is procedure involving jumping two wires at the harness where the automatic's shifter and gear indicator was. Searching the swap threads should get you in the vicinity.
    Are your reverse lights functioning?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Souds like an error was made by the swapper when disabling the "trans program" message. I think there is procedure involving jumping two wires at the harness where the automatic's shifter and gear indicator was. Searching the swap threads should get you in the vicinity.
    Are your reverse lights functioning?
    Hi Ross,

Its possible that there was a mistake, and I'll definitely have to check the reverse lights. I do know that reverse lights and mirror have worked fine the almost four years I've owned the car. FWIW, the car did just pass NY state inspection with this problem-- which either means my reverse lights are working, or they aren't and they just didn't check.

I have had issues with the trans program error message since owning the car. In fact, I think I have some old posts about it here. For some unknown reason, the trans program message appears on either cold or wet conditions, but is generally absent when its dry and warm/hot out. There is a bundle of wires that were from the auto stuffed in the console near the shifter and some have been jumped together which is where I originally looked as the source of this problem. The wires that I was told needed to be bound together, were and redoing that connection did not help my above described situation.
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

I incorrectly assumed the problem has always been present, hence the suggestion of someone else's mistake.
    Given the wet weather trans program message I'd be looking for corroded connections.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"