GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E39 ABS module DIY ??

Default E39 ABS module DIY ??

The ABS module for E39 is dying.
    Does anyone know of a DIY for this $$$ part?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Found it, thanks to rocketwagon at bimmerforum.
    http://passat-b5.ru/index.php?option...=296&Itemid=57
    EDIT;
    I tried this and failed. The larger of the wires are too small for me to be able to tin the connection points. I also broke several of the nearly invisible wires embedded in the gel while removing it from the area, these I couldn't repair at gunpoint, even if I could see them.
    Perhaps without having broken the gold wires I may have persisted and successfully repaired the larger ones that appeared to be the problem, three of them burned through.
    If you attempt this repair be so very careful of the other wires. I cannot imagine repairing those once broken.
    Last edited by Ross; 05-19-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Good link. The gold wires are too small to solder onto. But you might be able to repair the broken gold wires by removing the gel from the white ceramic substrate and soldering a thin wire from the gold pads on the ceramic to the gold connector terminals near the edge of the ceramic. On the other hand I can see that it would be hard to remove any gel without disturbing the adjacent gold wires.

Default Talk to Gavin At modulemaster

1-888-892-0764
    He's very reasonable and does a great job. I 've sent a number of customers modules to him with excellent results. The only one i sent him he couldn't repair was an 850i EKM which i wasn't certain he could fix anyway since he never see's them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    The ABS module for E39 is dying.
    Does anyone know of a DIY for this $$$ part?

we have sent a **** load of abs modules to them too and only had a couple that were fubar, the new style modules are complete **** be it chevy volvo bmw or audi (anything else that uses that type of unit too but these are the ones i've had contact with) bosch built a real winner there

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    1-888-892-0764
    He's very reasonable and does a great job. I 've sent a number of customers modules to him with excellent results. The only one i sent him he couldn't repair was an 850i EKM which i wasn't certain he could fix anyway since he never see's them.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Bill, Where have you been? There was even a missing person thread started for you. All is well?
    A fellow who's car I service and needs this component also has a family member employed by Bosch. Hopefully the employee discount applies across product lines. Otherwise a call to Gavin is in order.
    Thanks for the help guys.

I thought about just substituting larger wire for the gold filaments. I'm not equipped tool or skillwise to make so many of those tiny connections so close together. The Russian fellow was able to repair his more easily as only one connection was broken.
    This is REALLY tiny stuff, my eyes ain't what they used to be and the hand isn't as steady either. I feel defeated on this one, it's frustrating.