GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Unique HID problem/issue

Default Unique HID problem/issue

Had a unique HID problem/experience over the past month. I have had my HIDs (4300k 55w DDMtuning lights) for two years with my bulb out warning (BOW) resistor fix working fine. However in the past month or so I have been getting the warning usually in my driver’s side light and today in the passenger side light. Usually turn the ignition off and back on with no warning and all lights working fine for several days.

Any ideas?

I think my home made harness is developing an open circuit on one or both sides. Perhaps the bulbs are wearing out or the LKM is failing. No other lighting issues. I ordered new bulbs just to be on theh safe side. We shall see.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

U need to reflow the LKM low beam relay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    U need to reflow the LKM low beam relay.
    Are you sure? i have seen the posts on how to reflow. I do not have the expertise to fix it it without ruining it. My eyesight is not what is was many years ago.

if this is a problem I might need to get another LKM. bet they are expensive new. Used, i do not know which ones will work in my 95.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I had this problem long ago when I first installed HID... 2001. I would get this problem and the light actaully does not lit. I pulled out the LKM many times and finally solved the problem without realizing it.

Reflowing and adding solder is so damn easy... 1 minute job.

Open up the cover of LKM and stick it back in the socket... you can manually activate each relay to figure out which one is low beam relay.

Other thing I did is scrape the relay contacts clean... this cinch the job... because the contact oxidation creates resistance... causing the error message to trigger... all that arcing when relay closes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I had this problem long ago when I first installed HID... 2001. I would get this problem and the light actaully does not lit. I pulled out the LKM many times and finally solved the problem without realizing it.

Reflowing and adding solder is so damn easy... 1 minute job.

Open up the cover of LKM and stick it back in the socket... you can manually activate each relay to figure out which one is low beam relay.

Other thing I did is scrape the relay contacts clean... this cinch the job... because the contact oxidation creates resistance... causing the error message to trigger... all that arcing when relay closes.
    Excellent! May take a look this weekend. it was cool this morinig. I bet the circuits open up more when the temperature is cool. Thanks
    Thanks,

tried to pull the LKM out. Did not want to come out. What am i missing?
    Thanks,

pull hard on one side... once it starts to come up... pull the other side... Yep it is super hard...

thanks. I pulled it and cleaned contacts with electronc circuit cleaner and reseated. i will watch a couple of days, I may do same with all the HID connectiors.
    Last edited by Russell; 10-02-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    Thanks,