GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: M50 Eng 4L30E Trans RRR - Far More Than I Ever Expected

Quote Originally Posted by 93 525 Paul View Post
    Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. Brillantrot in need of a polish. Yes, she's really dirty in those photos and that shows poorly. So after we (my 13YO son has been helping) dropped it in, we reinstalled the hood and washed her well. I even took a buffer and some "color restore" to the hood and fenders and she cleaned up very nicely. Will shoot a photo to prove it.
    More to come, thanks for the nudge.
    She did spiff up nicely. Still fiddling with all the connections beneath the intake mani. Want to get that on this weekend...

Shiny!!!
    Link to my M50 engine rebuild thread
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul

Damn. Didn't even touch it last weekend. Won't touch it this weekend either, with a speaking engagement last night, a black tie affair tonight, comp soccer and the FSU Bulldogs football vs San Diego State tomorrow night and more soccer Sunday...OMG.
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul

Default Progress being made in the 'No...

Woohoo. Fresno State football team beat the crap out of San Diego State and had some impressive stretches. Go Dogs.

OK, back to the Bimmer. Daughter said my favorite thing was "riding the couch" so I have not since she said that. Ouch...I CAN make some progress in short bursts avoiding the couch. Back away from the 50" hi def!!! I even missed MNF to work on this thing. (Monday Night Football for the non US residents.)

Here's the intake side before I yanked the engine and tranny. Tell tale and troublesome long term oil leaks from the cam cover. (cuss words)

Here's the intake side last night about 6p Pacific time. I was worried as hell installing the intake since it really covers EVERYTHING. I did replace all the small coolant hoses, the big spider hose and connected the "mystery ground" down low on the side of the block where the wiring loom support bracket bolts on. Hope that's right.

Here's the intake side last night about 10p Pacific after some work, having to run to the parts store and break for dinner. The fuel line from the hard line under the intake to the hard line on the fuel rail was hard as rock.

Darn close to firing. Just a vacuum hose needed (old one cracked) for brake booster to intake, gotta find the damn fan shroud (where could it be?) Oh and I get to remove and re install the cam cover. (More cuss words here.) I freaking forgot the fargin' plastic thing that goes over one of the cams. I found it in the trunk when I was putting the intake shrouds back on. (Cuss words, head slap, more cussing...)

That plastic cover over the intake cam.

Default Glorious

She runs! What was the quote?
    Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    What a great read. Mate you've got it all happening there. When it comes together, it will be glorious in the full Roman sense of the word. Regardless of anyone else knowing! Persistence with practice makes perfect, and that one will be!
    Really good to see a nice build happening too!
    That one quote, "...it will be glorious in the full Roman sense of the word" has been rattling around in my head since Genphreak wrote it.
    Late last night got her to fire. Wooo freaking HOOO!!!
    Long time snoozing is now over. Just ran her a bit, need to bleed the coolant. At first she didn't want to idle so I just ran her a minute. Got out checked leaks, nada. Gave her a once over, checked the oil level. Re fired right away, sounded a bit less noisy, settled down, let her idle up to temp, ran the tranny through the gears (she is still on jack stands.)
    Can't wait to get home and get her off the jack stands and get her moving for the first time in a LOOOOOONG while.

No reaction at all eh? Tough crowd I guess.

Got the beauty off the jack stands, bled the coolant, took her around the block. Kind of surprised all the gears work, and she shifts beautifully. Was almost expecting there to be some tranny problems. Still very preliminary, very tight feeling. Double checked everything and let her cool.
    Took her for a longer drive the second time, let the revs come up to about 3k. She smoothed out, was definitely feeling more like the old girl. Idling more normally, quieter. Let her cool again, washed her and cleaned her up a bit. Drove her across town to a soccer game for my daughter and she was feeling GREAT. Stopped on the way back at my brother's house and by a friend's (he was the former pro wrench.) All smiles, lots of pats on the back.
    Again today took her out and about and just need to do a few things:
    Add more tranny fluid, she will cavitate after a quick stop
    Super clean the insides of the windows
    Enter the stereo code
    Figure out why the windows don't work, thinking fuse
    Recharge the A/C
    So stoked.

Congratulations on a good job, glad to hear she is rolling again. I read the previous post but didn't want to jinx you by jumping the gun but glad to hear all is starting out well and another e34 will live again. If not fuses for the windows I know my rear windows stick since I don't use them and with a bit of help they work again ( can hear a noise when I try to use them but no movement but with a bit of help to get started they start working) could just be from sitting in the sun for so long.
    1995 525i 225,000km Still stock for now

Ahhh that's so dam good to read. Really enjoyed the pics and the comments moit, you've done the family (and us) proud there... plugging away and then kazooom! She runs spot-on! That's the thing, you put up with working the BMW way, not forcing, checking, et al, ... doing things in the occasionally non-apparent way... it pays off in the end as once buttoned up, it works the way it should.

The legions will write your name in stone aqueducts, roads and buildings everywhere they go from now on!

Can't wait to see that engine bay all spruced uo!

With the tranny- be sure to use a thermometer and the right procedure- it isn't hard but needs to be precisely carried out on many M50 (at least the ZF) trannies. incorrect levels can cause prompt failure. Cavitation noise is not a good sign I guess you know, but will fix

I just fixed the ECU in mine, after chasing every possible cause otherwise- it turned out that one group of cylinders was not firing right all the time. Damn thing goes so smooth and pulls so well now, can pull away in traffic in third from only 750rpm up hills, finally... M50 powaugh!!!

Hope you enjoy the re-awakening of that sweet red mistress and get to take her out in public regularly from now on...
    Last edited by genphreak; 10-08-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

The rear windows could be from lack of use. If so, they may have stuck in the track/regulators and srtipped the gears in the motors. I went ahead and replaced the motor and regulators in both of my rear doors at different times. Bit of a pain as the regulators are riveted in.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    Ahhh that's so dam good to read. Really enjoyed the pics and the comments moit, you've done the family (and us) proud there... plugging away and then kazooom!

Hope you enjoy the re-awakening of that sweet red mistress and get to take her out in public regularly from now on...
    Yes, it's been a bit surreal. Never would have done it had I known, but now, looking back, well worth the lack of TV time. Couch be damned!!!
    No engine bay shots just yet, more cleaning to do.

Exteriors? Yes, last evening at the ballpark for some Fall Ball.

Showing her to baseball dads who don't "get it" is a bit frustrating. Ah well. I know and my Bimmernut mates from across the globe know...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast