GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio sound dead

Default Radio sound dead

Happened a few months ago and after 20 minutes it was alive. Worked fine till 2 days ago, then it came back and then not.

Not much time to check but it has to be the power amp. All radio functions. changes stations and in the dash just no sound. I have been busy so haven't checked anything yet, did disconnect the battery for a while but no change with the radio.

Possibly a bad fuse but where would it be?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Maybe a bad capacitor, my wrenching buddy repaired his one, here in Japanese language, but the pics will explain enough http://infinitier.ddo.jp/e32/page/ma...inte_50529.htm

I don't think it's a capacitor but that idea makes me think about a bad solder connection somewhere in the amp or a bad plug in connection back there.. It did come on today for almost a second...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Maybe a bad capacitor, my wrenching buddy repaired his one, here in Japanese language, but the pics will explain enough http://infinitier.ddo.jp/e32/page/ma...inte_50529.htm
    Yes, caps all die at some point. >20 years is quite excellent in any book, especially if in a car.

My radio is quiet, as if there is no boost from the amp. It's barely loud at full volume.

Luckily I have a spare amplifier, so I will swap that in and see if it just fixes it!

Might take a look at the caps first tho... lol!~
    Last edited by genphreak; 02-24-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Not the connection at the amp however it is silent when unplugged. When hooked up it makes a slight bumping static sound. have to disassemble it from the bracket tomorrow to check things out.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

I have three stock e34 540 cassette radios of unknown operational condition I am willing to send you for shipping if you are interested.

I bought a CD43 a few years ago and am using the GROM USB unit which does USB sticks, Android phones and Bluetooth.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    I have three stock e34 540 cassette radios of unknown operational condition I am willing to send you for shipping if you are interested.

I bought a CD43 a few years ago and am using the GROM USB unit which does USB sticks, Android phones and Bluetooth.
    Thanks for the offer. I have not had a minute to even take the covers off the amp yet. I am however not liking no radio on my work drive so as soon as I can I will open this amp up. I really don't think it's the radio but it also has it's own issues. Do you have the codes for them?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Thanks for the offer. I have not had a minute to even take the covers off the amp yet. I am however not liking no radio on my work drive so as soon as I can I will open this amp up. I really don't think it's the radio but it also has it's own issues. Do you have the codes for them?

Dang it , been so long since I took them out I have lost track of the codes.. I will see about what I can get with the titles..I think I have all the titles for the three 540's I've owned... the dealership will give me the codes if I have the titles I hear.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Played with the amp, definitely a capacitor somewhere... Nothing obvious yet.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Mine is different:

Name:  Amp back.jpg
Views: 2364
Size:  37.1 KBName:  Amp number.jpg
Views: 2829
Size:  37.0 KBName:  amp top.jpg
Views: 2506
Size:  32.3 KB

The part under the cooling fins is not accessible, clipped in with heavy duty pop together clips. I did use a stainless brush on the solder areas I could access and it tries to come on and fizzles out. Can repeat this sometimes so I will try to reheat the solder contacts under the capacitors and see what happens.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast