GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: ABS + Traction Contol Lights ON After Working on Power Steering Hoses

Default ABS + Traction Contol Lights ON After Working on Power Steering Hoses

I had a shop replace the two small rubber hose segments connecting the Power Steering Fluid Cooling Coil segment .

He had a difficult time particularly as it appears he didn't notice the small metal pipe intermediary segment attaches to the fender/wheel well with a plastic Nut on the outside in the wheel well and he used some excessive force which ripped that fitment through the body panel there.

When he was done and I started the car to leave I saw the ANTI LOCK and the Traction Control lights were on and have not gone off.

I will be going back Monday for him to scan the car and see what's up.

Could unplugging the Throttle Control Module while doing the PS hose work trigger a fault that needs to be cleared?

the ASC+T system is definitely not operational at this time as verified last night driving in Snow when I realized the car had slid a long distance without the usual grabbing of the wheels .

Anyway Just figured I'd see if anyone has any ideas as to what he may have done.

I supposed maybe he damaged wiring for the Wheel Speed sensor .

I unplugged and refitted the main ABS module plug to be sure it was on tight and I see no obviously broken wiring in that area...
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Aren't they supposed to disconnect the battery when working on strange European vehicles? I mean that's like the first thing I would do.

Hopefully a reset will fix it, if not then have him look at the sensor wiring.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Aren't they supposed to disconnect the battery when working on strange European vehicles? I mean that's like the first thing I would do.

Hopefully a reset will fix it, if not then have him look at the sensor wiring.
    Well he obviously assumed it was just cutting a few clamps off, slip on a couple of short hose segments with new clamps , tighten them down and bam..."

I am under the impression the use of a pry bar to remove the small pipe segment damaged some wiring I can't quite see... the main ABS wires appear ok.. the ground is fine the other bundles looms coming from beneath show no obvious damage so I focused on the wheel speed sensor which comes up from the wheel well but I wasn't certain why a break in that wire would cause a fault.

The only other thing of which I am certain was the Traction control spool module got unplugged and wondered if similar to the Steering wheel if you unplug that without disconnecting the battery you get an SRS fault requiring computer clearing maybe that did it here although that seems too drastic to disable the whole ABS system to bring your attention to the fact your throttle actuator had a connection disruption.

Really hoping he can fix this as we're getting a foot and a half of snow Tuesday here and I don't want to learn to drive this thing in heavy snow without the ASC+T .
    Last edited by Jehu; 03-12-2017 at 10:42 PM.

When we are doing a transmission fluid change on the lift, the engine has to run in all gears when filling to check the fluid level. Then normally the ASC light comes on, it goes automatically away after driving some distance. Not sure about that, but I have read the system checks and when the fault has not come back 5 or 10 times after ignition has been switched on, it will delete the light automatically. The frequency of ignition on/off depends aparrently based on a priority/importance list

Just warning you not to rely on ASC+T right now, something may be wrong. Maybe it was just because the wheel was off the ground and went round a few times with the ECU on, upsetting the ABS brain. Who knows. I think Erich was suggesting you drive it for a while, see if it goes away.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    When we are doing a transmission fluid change on the lift, the engine has to run in all gears when filling to check the fluid level. Then normally the ASC light comes on, it goes automatically away after driving some distance. Not sure about that, but I have read the system checks and when the fault has not come back 5 or 10 times after ignition has been switched on, it will delete the light automatically. The frequency of ignition on/off depends aparrently based on a priority/importance list

Well we put it up on the lift and it appeared the Grommet through which the driver side front wheel speed sensor wires travels was damaged which possibly allowed the jacketing to be cut creating a short or something like that..

I didn't hang around breathing down his neck yet that is what I gathered from the explanation.

It was repaired and has been fine all day.

Just got back from over 500 miles driving afterward with 300,2000 miles on the M60

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Well we put it up on the lift and it appeared the Grommet through which the driver side front wheel speed sensor wires travels was damaged which possibly allowed the jacketing to be cut creating a short or something like that.I didn't hang around breathing down his neck yet that is what I gathered from the explanation. It was repaired and has been fine all day.
    Had the same on my E32 750 front left, the wire goes from the wheelhouse into the engine bay and there is it plugged together, these plugs are very brittle and fall apart with age. I had a spare one from a parts car wire loom and soldered it in, these plugs are not available as single item, just as cpl. wire loom.