GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Has anyone ever bought M Pars from Lakeshore Wheel and Tire?

Default Has anyone ever bought M Pars from Lakeshore Wheel and Tire?

I'm thinking of buying M Par reps from http://lakeshorewheelandtire.com/

In their pics, the wheels look really shiny, and claim a machined finish. I can't figure out if it's just the lip or if the entire wheel is machined and not painted.

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com...F-s&search=e34

Has anyone ever bought from them in the past?

Yep - bought the 18" M-Pars from them about four years ago. Came with BMW center caps and ///M stickers (which fell off almost instantly), but you'll need hubcentric rings.

The finish was clearcoated, machined aluminum faces on the spokes and lip. I would say great quality, though the metal was a little soft and had slight bends over the years from potholes and such (typical for KO wheels). I first mounted them on my E24, then onto a pair of E28s before replacing them with staggered 18" style 32s. Sold them (with those same tires) on CL well over a year ago.

As I recall, I paid ~$1,200 with tires, delivered. Felt it was a great deal. Still do. Happy to recommend them.

did you require rings because you ordered them for an e24? or would the e34 also need rings?

any pics of the car with the wheels on, by any chance? thx.

The rings were needed because the wheels are bored to fit the largest hub application possible - and I don't know which model that is, but this is pretty common with wheel upgrades. I think the E24 has the same hub diameter as the E28 and E34. The rings are cheap anyway, and plentiful in the commonly needed size.

No pics, unfortunately (and I don't know why, really). The E24 was rear-ended a week after I got here (Los Angeles), wheels were fine, btw, and I had some collision pics somewhere. Anyway, more than a few people didn't like the look of the 18" on the E28s. Whatever. Had both brown and gray E28s. No pics of those any longer either. The M-Pars were never on my E34, though the tires I had would need to be much taller than what would fit on the other chassis.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident - that sucks.

I'm concerned that hubcentric rings will cause me to have suspension issues, or reveal previously hidden issues. Did you ever notice any front end problems while using the wheels? Were they much heavier than the stock wheels you were replacing?

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your accident - that sucks.
    The guy's insurance paid for the car, and then I bought it back and kept some of the goodies (M-Pars, for instance) and sold the excellent-running engine/trans chassis. Made a little cash on the deal, but not a fortune. Replaced it with the 528e (mistake, but we all have to learn). Then upgraded to the 535i/5 - an entirely different ride.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    I'm concerned that hubcentric rings will cause me to have suspension issues, or reveal previously hidden issues. Did you ever notice any front end problems while using the wheels? Were they much heavier than the stock wheels you were replacing?
    You'll have suspension issues without the rings - trust me. Even with the rings, the larger wheels will amplify any UCA or ball joint problems, though, since there's less rubber (sidewall) between the wheel and the road, and the (probably) higher unsprung weight of the new wheel vs. stock. My E24 came with the stock 16" basket-weaves, and I clearly had vibration issues with the new wheels - but only because they illuminated my suspension problems. Did the ball joints and UCA's (upper control arms) and all was well. The E24/E28 is a different (but similar) chassis to the E34, but the dreaded "50 MPH shimmy" still exists - the classic UCA worn bushing symptom. Shimmy upon braking is usually the ball joints.

The rings are simply spacers to center the (larger) wheel (bore) around the (smaller) E34 hub (like a slice of a cardboard paper towel roll) - they fill in that gap. They won't push your wheel out any, unless you buy wheel spacers with the hub-centric part machined-in.

Don't know the exact weight difference, but the newer wheel/tire combo felt lighter in my hands when changing them out. Maybe that was just because they were so new and pretty.

Bottom line is you'll feel the difference (and more of the road) with the new wheels, even with the hub-centric rings. But they are essential to proper wheel/hub alignment. If your suspension is a bit worn, you'll surely need to replace a few things because you'll know about their weaknesses right away. I suggest that if your UCAs are old and/or worn, get them done at the same time as the wheel upgrade, and get an alignment for the entire new setup. More money, sure, but if you let one problem go, it will cause more problems. Dominoes...

I live about half an hour from there. I'll have to check them out in person and report back. I don't think I'll be going to be able to stop by tomorrow or anything. I hadn't heard of them in the past but hadn't been in the market.

1990 535im 421,000 miles, 1987 325is, 1989 325is, 1990 m3, 1991 318is, 2001 X5 3.0

Thanks !